Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Didn't have problem till i installed updates on hp support assistant. Now only time light next to it blinks is on reboot and when i attempt scan it says error occured preventing use of fingerprint credentials. light never comes on at any other time.

I have dv6-6117dx running 64 bit windows 7.  It shown as still connected on device manager. I've tried two driver packs for validity sensor that I've found around the forums to no success. Maybe they just weren't for my laptop. Please any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well really just embarresed myslef....When i started researching the problem i saw all the experts pointing out update drivers to people i thought i would need to munually install it like everyone else....but nope just went to device manager and update drivers did the trick....i consider my self at least a semi-tech so this was downright embarresing for me. Just thought i would update incase anyone else had same problems....THanks to all!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try downloading and installing the Validity Sensor driver on the link below.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52664.exe

After the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I got an access is denied error and told me a new driver is already available.
HP Recommended

Well really just embarresed myslef....When i started researching the problem i saw all the experts pointing out update drivers to people i thought i would need to munually install it like everyone else....but nope just went to device manager and update drivers did the trick....i consider my self at least a semi-tech so this was downright embarresing for me. Just thought i would update incase anyone else had same problems....THanks to all!

HP Recommended

You got lucky on your solution. That's good for you.

In my case, I had the same problem with the same model. I think my solution will work for most laptops with Biometric Devices not being detected in windows. In my case, it's windows 7 ultimate. It's mostly related to the services getting disabled because of either security updates or system optimization. Anyhow, just follow the steps below and I hope this also works for you.

1. Download all the latest Fingerprint Sensor Drivers and related software specific to your device.

2. Uninstall your Biometric Devices and Simplepass drivers and applications. You can do the first one by going to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager>Right click on Biometric Device and Select Uninstall. (include the software driver). For the Simplepass, Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features>HP Simplepass>Uninstall (dont delete the identity profiles if you wanna save your passwords).

3. Now for the Services. Make sure you follow the path and set all of the services to "Automatic". You can do this by going to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services.

Double click on ALL (although you have to do this one at a time) the services listed below and change the "Startup type" to Automatic.

-Credential Manager

-Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

-DCOM Server Process Launcher

-RPC Endpoint Mapper

-Windows Biometric Service

-Plug and Play

**you don't have to follow the order above should some services gives an error when you're setting it.

Once done, reboot.

4. Install the updated biometric driver first and then the simplepass software (Simplepass 2012 at the time of this writing).

5. Go to Start>Control Panel>Biometric Devices>Change Biometric Settings. Make sure "Biometrics On" is selected and "Allow users to Log on to Windows..." is checked if you want to login to Windows using the sensor. Once done, reboot.

6. Test and configure the sensor and application. Enjoy.

**If the sensor is not displayed upon Windows boot-up, click on "switch user" to show the option to login to Windows using the sensor.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

i have the same problem in my pavilion dv6-6b70se note book and i tried the solution but it didnt solve my problem .

any other solution please

every time i want to log to windows an error message appears that there is an error preventing the usage of my fingerprint credential !!!!

HP Recommended

Try this, as it worked for me to get rid of the finger print error.

Open Device Manager

Click on Biometric Devices

Click on Validity Sensors

Click on the Driver tab

Uninstall the Driver

Restart the Computer

Restore Windows to an earlier point in time.

The finger print login should now work

This approach to reinstalling the Driver is necessary, as after you Restart the computer, after uninstalling the Driver, the Biometric Devices icon no longer shows up in the Device Manager, so there is no otherway that I know of to reinstall the Driver other than to Restore Windows to an earlier point in time.

HP Recommended
Hello, I have had a similar problem on my Dv6. I found that web the biometrics was not found on the device manager one of the USB ports was not working. However, when you go into device managar you should see a yellow exclamation mark on the side of one of the port driver. If you click on that USB port driver, disable it and then re enable it, you should be back up and running. It worked for me. Hope this helps
HP Recommended

I spent the better part of 2 days trying to figure out why my HP fingerprint reader wasn't working. I did a lot of trial and error. I finally got it working. But the problem is I don't know the step by step procedure. What I did was uninstall the finger print driver. I did not uninstall simple pass. but just the FingerPrint driver. And now I'm back with everything working just fine.  I hope this will put you on the right track. I wish you well.

HP Recommended

I have Hp Envy DV6 7210tx.

I am have problem with finger print.

in my device manager it is shows Error

Device Status

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

How to fix it. ? any Solution.:smileysurprised:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.