Question

Honor Student
fedupemsy
Message 1 of 7 (3,181 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6700 - do I need to replace the battery or the charger???

My laptop kept saying 'plugged in but not charging', battery power dropped to 0% and now I can't get it to charge or turn on.

Is it the charger or the battery that's a the prblem?

Thanks for your help

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 7 (3,165 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6700 - do I need to replace the battery or the charger???

fedupemsy wrote:

My laptop kept saying 'plugged in but not charging', battery power dropped to 0% and now I can't get it to charge or turn on.

Is it the charger or the battery that's a the prblem?

Thanks for your help

If the laptop works without the battery, the problems is the battery. Make also sure that you have the latest BIOS. If the problem persist buy a new battery. A Dv6700 is a pretty old laptop..:smileyhappy:

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 7 (3,165 Views)

Hi:

Remove the battery.

Connect the charger to the notebook.

If it fires up, then most likely the battery is very dead, and will need to be replaced.

A very dead battery will actually prevent your notebook from starting up even when the charger is plugged in.

Go figure.

Of course if the notebook doesn't turn on with just the charger plugged in, then your power supply needs to be replaced, and the battery is probably discharged but OK.

Paul

Honor Student
fedupemsy
Message 4 of 7 (3,161 Views)

Cool, thank you.

Turns on when plugged in with no battery, for a short while then dies again.  So does this mean it's the battery?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 7 (3,159 Views)

Hi:

Not good.

It should run indefinitely with just the power supply. 

You may have issues (motherboard) beyond the battery and power supply, unless both the battery and power supply are bad.

Paul

Honor Student
fedupemsy
Message 6 of 7 (3,156 Views)

I tried it two more times and it now works on the charger, so it is the battery. Cool - thank you for your help.

Fed up of the whole laptop and want to sell it, so next question - where's the best place to sell it?!!!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 7 (3,154 Views)

eBay is probably your best bet...or Craig's list if you live in the USA and don't mind folks coming to your house to buy the thing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation