Question

Honor Student
Reptilezoo
Message 1 of 4 (246 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7-1055ea Blu-ray drive no longer works

Hi,

I bought my notebook about 4 years now and the blu-ray drive would work. Nowadays, new blu-ray titles do not work, and it is my understanding that the updates for the firmware do not happen with windows vista (only windows 7) and no firmware is offered on the web. Therefore proving the blu-ray drive useless. Is there nothing that can be done?

Thanks

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (227 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7-1055ea Blu-ray drive no longer works

[ Edited ]

Here is a general solution that works for most Blu-ray problems.

Save the file of Cyberlinks Power DVD10 to the desk top and install it from there, not from a temporary folder.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56904.exe

After it installs restart your machine.

Load your Blu-ray by opening the drawer with the button on the drawer face. (do not open Power DVD 10)

Give it a little time and let it load automatically for the first time.

If you get a message that Power DVD 10 needs an update to play this disc _ close that window and press play.

If you have any problems getting Power DVD 10 to install post again.

If your drive is a Sony BC-5500S drive then you may be out of luck.

Honor Student
Reptilezoo
Message 3 of 4 (205 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this to no success, and yes it is the Sony BC-5500S drive. Does this mean I have to get a new one? Shouldn't HP pay for it since it is not my fault?

Thanks

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 4 (198 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes you will probably have to get a new drive. I have spent the better part of a day looking for solutions to update the firmware for the Sony and have never found a solution. ( this has been going on for weeks actually)

Here is an example of another dead end thread.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=26954

I have four HP laptops, all with HP branded Blu-ray drives and they all work with all titles _ "so far" and they are around 80 bucks for a new one.

Consider buying a stand alone player, here in Canada a Blu-ray player is around 120.00 bucks for a regular work horse player.

Yes in a perfect world HP should replace the drive, but you know that will never happen.

Maybe someday HP will provide a firmware update that will work on the Sony OEM drive.  :smileysurprised:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation