HP Pavilion dv7 laptop won't boot to OS, safe mode, CD...nothing! (12644 Views)
Honor Student
leeleeslip
Message 1 of 5 (12,644 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7 laptop won't boot to OS, safe mode, CD...nothing!

Our two year old laptop won't boot at all.  I was using it via battery power and it shut down.  Upon plugging it into AC and turning it back on, it brought up an all black screen with the cursor being the only thing that functions.  I have tried everything.  It won't go into repair, safe mode, won't boot to a CD.  The diags tests I ran came back with no bad results. Any help would be very appreciated. 

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 5 (12,633 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7 laptop won't boot to OS, safe mode, CD...nothing!

Yes, likely the boot sector on the hard drive is corrupted. If the hard drive is present in the BIOS and passes the diagnostic test it is likely mechanically good. This means you just need to reload the OS. You can save files off the hard drive first with a SATA to usb adapter.

Honor Student
leeleeslip
Message 3 of 5 (12,623 Views)

Would a corrupt boot sector keep me from booting to a CD as well?  I even plugged the hard drive into my son's HP laptop and had the same result.  :smileysad:

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 5 (12,611 Views)

Can you boot to CD with the hdd removed? Also be sure to check the boot order in the BIOS to be sure hdd is not set first. If it is, and the boot sector is corrupt, it can just hang there and not get past to boot to the CD. If you cannot boot from CD with the hdd removed I will say you have some type of hardware issue going on. But you should try a hard reset by removing everything you can including battery, hold down the power button 30 seconds then apply just the AC adapter to restart.  

Teacher
mancy_techno
Message 5 of 5 (10,008 Views)

Hi,

If the battery of the HP laptop is not in a good condition, sometimes booting problems might happen. To remove any static charges accumulated in the battery, you would have to remove the battery and press the Power button for about 25-35 seconds. Then reset the battery. Even after this, if your laptop is not booting up then you could perform the battery calibration and press F8 key to boot in safe mode.

Get more information to fix Hp laptop booting issues :

http://supportforhp.iyogi.com/laptop-not-booting.html

Hope this information helps you.

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation