Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

HP dv7 Overheat Solution  Drastic? Maybe. Does it work and lower processor temp by 30deg.C? Absolutely, runs better than new, nice and quiet and cool. :generic:

HP Recommended

How is that working out for you now? Still good?

HP Recommended

I see you have had the same problem I am having.  I have a Paviliondv7-1232 laptop.  It has run hot every since I bought it and shuts down for now reason...other than it may be due to over heating.  I had a computer tech to clean my cpu thoroughly and update from Vista to Windows7.  He told me that HP has been having this issue with their laptops and also told me that they were suppose to fix the issue by court order.  Have you heard from them?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv6 notebook.  The fans sound like a mini-jet engine (my co-workers say it sounds like it is going to take off!) and it is so hot I have to prop it up in the front so it gets more air.

Temp? I don't know. I have used different laptops on a desk (clean, flat) for many years and have never had the problem until this hp. It is 2 years old and I am afraid it is going top crash and burn soon, literally.

It cannot be good for the machine for the fans to run on high all the time.  Vents are clean. I will try a cooling tray. Any other solution? HP, are you listening? 

HP Recommended

Mine just hit 99*C... within 5 minutes of turning off the cooling mat its sitting on. ON the cooling mat, its at a breezy 79*C. 

its normally not on a mat. just using one because i'm home from college and my mom noticed my fan was running loud and gave me hers to use. Usually gets so hot the keyboard is almost hot to the touch.  

its been running like this since day 1. told same things as other people. bios update will fix it. warranty will cover it.. blah blah blah needless to say it was pushed off until i was out of warranty, i was blown off, and now i'm stuck with a crappy laptop. NEVER buying HP again. 

HP Recommended

mine is doing exactly as you stated. not even two years old yet & is insane hot & fan running constantly. will not buy hp again. you'd think they'd put the product through riggorous tests before selling it to avoid customer issues & complaints. I hope hp reads this forum & does something to save customers

HP Recommended

your link does not work. I was looking foreward to a solution too ;(

HP Recommended

UPDATE: I am now using a cooling tray. The fan still runs on high most of the time, however it is much cooler this way.  

HP, I would not consider buying another one of your laptops unless I see that you have done something to correct this problem.

HP Recommended
hmm, how much is a cooling fan?
HP Recommended

Hi guys I have a DV7 4180ea laptop with the same issue, I have been in contact with HP but just wasting my time with people that have no clue about there own product so gave up with them

My laptop is 1 month out of warranty, Im not afraid of taking things apart so I did and have fixed mine.

The problem is the heat exchanger, the airway through has small close together fins and lint gets stuck,

using compressed air will move it but as soon as you start the fan it will get stuck again, the bottom case does not come off so you can't easily get to the fan, you can cut away the air intake if you want but I found if you put the laptop on its right side with the heatsink upper most and put a vacuum cleaner onto the fan intake then use compressed air can with the tube down each outlet hole it takes a while to do this  but now my laptop runs at 40 degrees C under a heavy load.

please click on the kudos under my name if this helps

please let me know

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.