Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I recently had my Hp Pavilion dv7-1245dx Entertainment Notebook( to the best of my knowledge bc i cant look up my product number) fixed from some viruses and malware that were causing random shutdowns and freezes. My laptop worked fine after the fix so i installed the latest updates to further protect my laptop but when i left and my laptop went into sleep mode it would not respond and the screen was black. I shut it down via the power button and turned it back on. The computer wouldn't boot and the caps lock button would flash three times signifying some memory problem, according to HP support, which happened before i got my laptop fixed. Later i unplugged the ac adapter and moved my laptop but when i tried to turn it back on the power button would not respond and i can't do anything with my laptop. Both recommended options for the cap locks issue and the power button is to go inside my laptop and fiddle around with the battery and memory module. I am very hesitant to do so in fear of further harming my laptop. I am on Windows 7 and any advice as to what i should do would be vastly appreciated. ( will give any further information if needed )

With regards,

ACertainGuy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your notebokdoes have removable covers for the memory module in the bottom of the notebook. It is just as seen in the document that I linked to.

You will need to purchase a jewelers screwdriver set.  A jewelers philips scredriver is required.

Here is a link to a document that explains the blinking LED error codes and what they mean.

The only other option, if you don't have enough confidence to do it yourself, is to take your notebook to a shop that will do it for you.  

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Try a hard reset as follows:

1) Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
2) Press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
3) Plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
4) Press the power button

Please post your positive or negative results here in your thread.

There is an explanation of how to rmove and replace the memory modules on this web document.

Remove the battery and look in the compartment where the battery was installed. You should see a printed part number and a product name on a service tag. Please post one or both of them (with all alphanumeric characters here). If you live outside of North America, it helps us if you post the country of purchase.

#2 on the service tag, as seen in the following image, is the product number.

service tag1.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello, Thank you for responding to my plea. I tried the hard reset and had success, my laptop turned on and now also with the battery. Now im faced with the cap locks issue again but now i think i have the the correct product number when i removed the batery compartment. It says i have a model: dv7t-6c00 and Product: A1L69AV. My service tag is black if it means anything and also does not look exactly as specified before so hopefully i gave the needed information.I do not know if i have one of the laptops which do have removable covers or not to the memory module. Thanks again for your time and advice. (will give any other needed information)

With regards,

ACertainGuy

HP Recommended

and serial: [Personal Information Removed]  sorry for not mentioning before.

HP Recommended

Your notebokdoes have removable covers for the memory module in the bottom of the notebook. It is just as seen in the document that I linked to.

You will need to purchase a jewelers screwdriver set.  A jewelers philips scredriver is required.

Here is a link to a document that explains the blinking LED error codes and what they mean.

The only other option, if you don't have enough confidence to do it yourself, is to take your notebook to a shop that will do it for you.  

Best regards,

erico

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help! I got help from a friend and together we unscrewed the cover and removed the memory modules and waited for about a minute and reinsertd them. I put the battery back in along with the cover and the ac adapter and then turned the laptop back on and then to my surprise it booted back up! I am going to run the appropriate scans and hopefully this will never occur again and if anyhthing else turns up i will post the problem and know i have help. Again thank you for all your help, you saved my laptop.

With regards and appreciation,

ACertainGuy

HP Recommended

You are quite welcome. we are here to help you. 🙂

Best regards,

erico

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.