Question

Honor Student
chaz2000
Message 1 of 35 (17,980 Views)

HP Pavilion dv9000 - Problem adding 2nd hard drive

Howdy - the physical procedure for adding a 2nd hard drive to a Pavilion dv9000 is easy.  The problem is the computer won't boot after I add it.

I have winXP.  I can get to the BIOS, but can't tell how to let the computer know that I've added the drive.  I used my restore disks to add XP to the new drive and the dv9000 will boot with just one drive or the other, but not both.

Is there a jumper setting on the factory installed Seagate 5400 100gb drive for "Master"?

Help!  Thanks.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 35 (17,974 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv9000 - Problem adding 2nd hard drive

No jumper...SATA does not use a master/slave concept like IDE...just channels. By any chance are you using IDE compatibility mode?...if so you might want to switch to SATA AHCI mode...this will make it harder to get XP working but might cure the boot problems. Here is a link to the Manual for the BIOS setup:

Setup Manual

The AHCI I am talking about is enhanced SATA in this Manual...your specific laptop may or may not have it available. 

Post back with any more questions you may have. 

Honor Student
chaz2000
Message 3 of 35 (17,975 Views)

Thanks for the quick post.

Unfortunately, there is no setting for enhanced SATA in the BIOS.  In the Diagnostics menu, there is a setting for testing the second hard drive, but the notebook stops responding when I run it.

Any other suggestions?

I'm not adverse to mirroring the old 100gb hd to the new 500gb hd if i can figure out how to do it.

Thanks again,

Chaz

JTW Top Student
Top Student
JTW
Message 4 of 35 (17,857 Views)

I ran into the same situation. I phoned HP support and was told there is no limit to the size of HD I could put into the drive bays, so I got a 500GB Samsung drive, put it in bay 2,  and got the no start issue. I spent a great deal of time on the horn with Samsung - no change. I can read the drive fine via USB to SATA interface externally as well. Long story short, there is actually a limit to the size of HD that can be used via the internal SATA bays - as posted in other threads on the DV9000 series. You're limited to <250GB as I'm told and it could be <200GB according to another user I read a post from. No BIOS fix to bump it up either. Try a smaller drive. The 500 won't work no matter what you do, even through it will get ID'd correctly by name when POSTing. I'm bummed about the secret limit and the support staff that directed me wrong in the first place. Hoora for forums.

Peace out.

Honor Student
chaz2000
Message 5 of 35 (17,851 Views)

JTW,

Thanks for the post.

Last question(s) - did you wind up installing a <250GB drive in the second bay?  If so, did you already have an operation system on the drive?

Thanks again,

Chaz

JTW Top Student
Top Student
JTW
Message 6 of 35 (17,846 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried the Samsung HM500JI in the 2nd drive. It prevented the laptop from booting for a good deal of time. When it did boot, POST ID'd the drive but the BIOS drive diagnostic would not see the drive, nor did win vista once fully booted from drive 1 (120GB Samsung HM120JI). I didn't try loading an OS on the 2nd drive, but did format it (NTFS) via an external USB to SATA link as part of my research into this matter.

I'm told that there may be an overall cap on the combination of drives in bay 1 & 2, amounting to a max of 400GB total. That would theoretically allow for a 250GB drive to operate in drive bay 2 with the original 120GB drive in bay 1 (but not a 320GB step up drive to my calculations - try it if you will).

I pulled the 2nd original drive (dual 120's upon purchase) to fix a friends laptop who's HD failed. I bought the 500GB drive looking for more storage and based on tech support's confirmation (false) that any 2.5" SATA drive would work in that 2nd slot. I am looking into the 250GB option next and will find a use for the 500 in another way. I do like the Samsung drives, but their tech support is another story altogether. 

I wonder, from your question, if you are interested in a dual OS setup via alternate drives? A bootloader on drive 1 would be able to pick the default boot device either way, so there's no question about the machines ability to boot from either drive I'd think.

Be well Chaz.

Message Edited by JTW on 07-10-2009 12:44 AM
Student
Newtones
Message 7 of 35 (16,053 Views)

UDR Honor Student
Honor Student
UDR
Message 8 of 35 (15,397 Views)

i have a major problem very much related to this

I have a dv9000 with double  HDs, and one of them died. I tried to simply replace the old one, but the computer refuses to boot if the secondary new drive is in the slot. I tested three different drives. So the failure is on HPs end of things.

What's even more mindbloggling stupid, is that the laptop boots with both drives only if one of the original HP drives is in. Must be some propietary formatting bull**bleep**.

At any case, it translates to pain in the ass waste of time for me, so if anyone has encountered this let me know. In the meantime I'll be torturing some HP engineers in my basement

Tutor
troltrogge
Message 9 of 35 (15,382 Views)

Today I just bought a Western Digital 250GB Scorpio Blue SATA-II 2.5-inch hard drive to put in the empty 2nd bay of my 17-inch screen DV9005 laptop. The original drive in bay 1 is a 100GB Seagate Momentus 5400.2 with basic SATA. The machine would not boot WindowsXP with both drives installed. The BIOS freezes pretty much right away with the hard drive light stuck on. I then tried booting MEPIS Linux from a live CD and it did the same "hang" in the BIOS. Taking out the 100GB drive and putting the 250GB in bay 1 I could boot MEPIS without a problem and even partitioned the 250GB drive for an NTFS data partition, a Linux swap, and Linux ext3 bootable partition. I can boot MEPIS OK from the 250GB drive (it has GRUB in the MBR) in either bay as long as it's the only disk in the machine. But with both drives installed the machine hangs. I'm bothered by the 3Gb/s rate of the new drive vs. the 1.5Gb/s of the original, but MEPIS seems to run OK on the new drive. My DV9005 was purchased Jan 2007. Can't someone tell me if both bays are identical? Do they support SATA-II (or at least regress to basic SATA)? This is turning into a nightmare. At least all I'm out is $58 for the new drive and $33 for the caddy if I have to give up. My new drive is "up to" 5400RPM, or so says the Best Buy shelf sticker.

Tutor
troltrogge
Message 10 of 35 (15,377 Views)

With the 1st bay empty and the new 250GB drive in bay 2 I ran the BIOS Quick and Comprehensive hard drive test. It took an hour but climbed to 100% and said everything was OK. So I reinstalled the original 100GB drive in bay 1 and started a normal boot. It took about ten minutes, during which I was "sure" it had frozen and watched the Olympics for awhile since someone somewhere said they waited 40-45 minutes for their machine to boot. And, WOW!, my machine seems to have booted off the 100GB drive normally. But it was mighty slow in coming up. Let me exercise it and report back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation