HP Pavilion dv9000 - Problem adding 2nd hard drive (17564 Views)
Top Student
RoboOgrady
Message 21 of 35 (4,007 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv9000 - Problem adding 2nd hard drive

Hello, I just successfully updated my dv9000 with a second hard drive.  I had all the same problems with the not booting up when I put the second new 250 GB WD drive.  Here is how I finally got it to work.

1. Installed Ghost 10 on primary drive and created a recovery image onto an external USB drive.

2. Installed second drive in primary drive location and formated the second drive using an XP recovery disk and formatted as  NTFS.  Note; I made it a single partition.

3.  I the booted the laptop using the Ghost 10 install/recovery CD.  note: change the boot sequence to CD first and HD second.

4. Ran Ghost recovery onto the new 250 GB drive.  When the restore is completed, let the machine boot to the new HD.  the system discovered the new HD and installed the drivers.  Then rebooted again and it worked as the primary drive.  The new drive is 7200 rpm so it is much quicker so I am leaving it as the primary drive.

5. install the original drive(80 GB 5400 rpm) in the second drive bay and it works perfectly.

Summary:  I think HP should create a FAQ the explains all of the issues with the drive installation after the unit is shipped without the second drive installed at the factory. 

Hope this helps anyone else the is doing this update.

Honor Student
SS86
Message 22 of 35 (3,947 Views)

[ Edited ]

I too had problems installing a new hard drive in my dv9000z (p/n RL015AV) , a WD 320GB scorpio black SATA2. When installed in bay 2, it would not be recognized, in bay 1 it would be recognized.

With the 320 in bay 1 I was able to do a clean install of Win7 with no problems and have the original 100GB in bay 2. Personally I want my larger drive to be the data drive and the smaller to be the boot drive.

After repeated emails with customer support requesting the limitations for the different bays; and repeated response along the line of "I understand you have a problem with your hard drive" I finally got a response stating that units with an Intel CPU have a limit of 100GB in bay 2 and those with an AMD CPU the limit is 160GB. It would appear from other posting in this thread that different models in the dv9000 series may have different limitations, but since it appears that HP is the Toyota of the computer industry, they aren't talking or setting the record straight.

HP's lack of available clear information about their product limitations, the abysmal and dense (clueless) customer service; and cooling design flaws on the dv9000, dv6000 and dv2000 (I just had the massive failure of video controller due to insufficient cooling, documented  in other posts on this forum) I'll vote to spend my money with non HP vendors in the future.

HP used to be a great company, now they are just another multi-national screwing their customers in the name of higher profits. I think it all began when they started treating printer ink as if it were a dairy product with a limited shelf life and added timeouts on printer cartridges; its been down hill ever since.

Student
jspar21
Message 23 of 35 (3,881 Views)

Hey , new to the forums. Wanted to know what is it that you need to buy to put a 2nd drive in. I have a DV9005US and just need a link. Don't want to buy and external.

Sorry to the person who started this post, don't mean to step on you stuff.

Thanks

JTW Top Student
Top Student
JTW
Message 24 of 35 (3,869 Views)

It doesn't look like you have the 2nd drive bay on that model so you're stuck with external drives if not. If the bay is not available there is no mod kit to make changes to the casing and incorporate it.

-J

Student
mathew_7
Message 25 of 35 (3,600 Views)

Hello, i would just like to ask, if there are any trouble with adding 2nd hard drive with the capacity of 500GB to HP Pavilion -  model number dv9810us. Any experiences? (1st hard drive - 160GB, AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2GHz, RAM - 3GB) Thanks for reply.

Student
Fenix-Studios
Message 26 of 35 (2,057 Views)

[ Edited ]

So, I know its a dead thread, but I too had the same issue. I am a technician, and reverse engineer viruses, and submit them to AV companies, play around with linux distros, and am an epic electronic hardware troubleshooter.

Anyway, so I got my dv9500cto from work; since they have the nVidia failure, and are virtually worthless to the retail industry in todays day and age, got it for free; all I have to do is reflow the GPU when it acts up. I wanted it to replace my newer hp mobile workstation (which the Motherboard died 17 days after the original factory 3 year warranty expired...go figure), so that I could have a somewhat powerful machine to work on.

Of course, two hard drive bays was quite appealing. My secondary drive came from about a year old external Passport, which was capable of USB 3.0. My cable was going bad, so I thought it would serve me better internally. Same exact symptoms everyone else describes, system boots with HDD in bay 1, not with HDD in bay 2.

My personal workaround (though painful), was to extract drive 2, boot system to windows XP SP3, shut down into Standby, put HDD back in, wake up from standby, then use Disk Management microsoft console to rescan disks, and lo and behold, it read my drive and I could listen to my music off drive #2.

This of course is with a newer drive, Seagate Momentus 5400.6 500GB, and the system still was able to read the drive (assuming the drive is not present during boot). I have not let the laptop sit for more then 3-4 minutes during boot with secondary drive in, nor have I tried using the bios drive fitness test on drive 2.

I'll tinker further and re-post with findings. I felt compelled enough to make an HP forums account when I  found this topic via google, so maybe someone else will find it and it be of help to them.

Student
travdmb
Message 27 of 35 (1,761 Views)

hello, i insalled a samsung 1TB in my second bay, when i go to the control panel look up hardware it shows the drive but when i try to access it through my computer it does not show up, what am i doing wrong?

Honor Student
BobDV9000
Message 28 of 35 (1,575 Views)

travdmb wrote:

hello, i insalled a samsung 1TB in my second bay, when i go to the control panel look up hardware it shows the drive but when i try to access it through my computer it does not show up, what am i doing wrong?

You need to tell the OS that it's there.  If it hasn't been properly formatted, Do a quick format of the new drive under Disk Management.

If it's already partitioned and formatted, then you probably just have to assign it a drive letter.  See this:

Change, add, or remove a drive letter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter

Honor Student
BobDV9000
Message 29 of 35 (1,574 Views)

After several years of faithful service my old Vista DV9000 fell prey to the dreaded Nvidia video problem.  Being faced with a time-critical situation and wanting to protect my data from outsiders, I found it more expedient to by a good used replacement on eBay rather than having my old one fixed.

The new one came with Win7, which prevents me from doing a simple restore from backup.  My Vista HDD doesn't want to boot in the new system, and I didn't like the 250GB drive it came with.

So, I used Acronis to clone it onto a new 1TB Hitachi, which I installed in the new(er) DV9000 and tried to boot.  I hacked my way through various error screens as well as the Setup utility and the various function-key boot options.  It responded with various varuiations of errors, including partial boots to various phases (including the windows icon) which always ended up in rebooting itself.  I would document what I did and what it responded with, but I tried so many combinations over a half-hour or so, that when it *finally* actually booted to the desktop, I was both amazed and relieved.  I haven't a cllue what actually worked--but persistance finally paid off. 

Even though this was supposed to be an exact clone of the drive that it came with, it then went through multiple driver installations and upgrades.  Weird, but I figured that was the original problem and all was now well.

This lasted until the first shut down.  When I turned  it on, it wnt through the normal POST routines, but when Windows tried to boot, it came up in the now-all-too-familiar error screen that I was missing some necessary item (I think it said it was a hardware issue and not the standard system files).  The choices were to run recovery or boot normally into Windows.  More out of frustration than anything else, I told it to boot normally and it did!  It also loaded more drivers and updates.

For the next several weeks, every time I rebooted, I got the same error message which I now confidently ignored.  Than, one day, the message went away and all is peachy keen.  I've now plugged the original disk int the second bay and am trying to figure a way to boot from it.

No success booting from the 2nd HDD...so far...but I am a persistant cuss and if possible, I'll eventually figure it out.  When (if) I do, I'll post it here.

Intern
jason9922
Message 30 of 35 (1,167 Views)

Did you ever figure this out? I took a DV9308NR that was in perfect condition externally, sent the mobo out and had a 2012 NVIDIA GPU put it in, along with a TK60 2.0 CPU, a modded heatsink and BIOS set up that keeps it running at its hottest at 135"F. The only reason I spent the $85 on having the mobo done was because it has a huge 17" screen, has HDMI output, 7 USB ports including the 3 USB 3.0 ports from the 54mm expansion card I installed for $12.00 and THE TWO HARD DRIVE BAYS! I put a 64GB Kingston solid state hard drive in bay #1 along with 4GB of ram running WIndows 7 Pro 64 bit and this laptop flies!! So when I go to put the 500GB WD 7200 rpm HDD in bay #2 to make it the HDD to save everything to, everytime I put any hard drive in the #2nd bay and turn on the laptop it posts, then freezes. Sometimes it won't even post. I cannot find anyone on Google with the directions on what to do. I read that that the AMD boards only recognize 160GB hdd, tried one of those, same thing happens. Nobody can give me an aswer. Since you seemed to know a little about what your talking about I figured you might have figured this out. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation