HP Pavilion g6-1001sq does not recognize Kingston 300v SSD (195 Views)
Honor Student
BogdanPetrovici
Message 1 of 6 (195 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion g6-1001sq does not recognize Kingston 300v SSD

Hello,

I have recently bought a Kingston 300v SSD drive to replace the default HDD on my HP Pavilion g6-1001sq notebook. The SSD runs on SATAIII (3) but the technical sheet on the vendor's site mentions that it is backwards compatible with the SATAII (2) specification.

However, when trying to boot up my system after installing the SSD I get a message saying that there is no bootable drive available. I have updated my BIOS to the latest revision (F6.6) but that did not solve the problem.

I have seen on the HP support forums that this is quite a common issue with other models as well, but I was wondering whether this issue has found a solution or at least a reasonable explanation (preferably confirmed by HP as well).

I would also like to know whether updating the SSD's firmware might help. I'm a bit skeptic about that since they already mention that SATAII is supported but I'm willing to try that approach as well, if there's a reasonable explanation for it.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (189 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion g6-1001sq does not recognize Kingston 300v SSD

Hi:

Did you install an operating system?

You will get a no bootable device if you don't install an operating system on your drive.

Honor Student
BogdanPetrovici
Message 3 of 6 (186 Views)

Hello,

No, I have not yet tried installing an operating system on the drive, since I was planning on using CloneZilla to move the contents of my old HDD onto the new one. Unfortunately, CloneZilla (or GParted, for that matter) does not recognize the drive either, which renders me quite unable to proceed with actually installing an OS on the drive. I will try finding a way to install my OS on the drive with another machine and I'll get back to you with the results.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (183 Views)

If the BIOS sees the drive, hopefully you will be OK.

You may have to do a clean install of the OS and I recommend you use this method to install the latest sata ahci drivers.

Download the drivers from this link below (first or second file listed -- 32 or 64 bit as applicable).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23060&keyword=Intel+Rapi...

Extract the files onto a usb flash drive.

With the flash drive and W7 installation media plugged into the machine, boot from the W7 installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Follow the prompts and W7 should install.

Honor Student
BogdanPetrovici
Message 5 of 6 (170 Views)

Hello,

Your first answer did the trick, I must have been distracted when trying to clone my hdd for the first time, otherwise I can't explain why I haven't noticed that the drive is actually recognized. I tried installing Ubuntu from scratch and during the installation process it recognized the drive.

Now I have to figure out how to move my Windows 8 OS from a 320GB Hitachi HDD to a 120GB SSD, including the MBR. I would hate to have to reinstall everything from scratch.

Anyway, I already have an answer to my plight, so we can consider this issue closed.

Best regards,

Bogdan

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 6 (158 Views)

You're very welcome.

Well at least you know the hard drive is good, and that the worst case scenario is you do a clean install of Windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation