Question

Top Student
Lord_Stan
Message 1 of 4 (174 Views)

HP Pavilion g6-1320se keyboard disfunctional

I have an HP Pavilion g6-1320se notebook as stated above. My keyboard has suddenly become disfunctional. The keys "F1; F2; 3; E; D; C" do not work anymore. Basically a column of keys on my keyboard don't work. I use Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). I have no idea why this has happened, does not seem to be because of any new software. I uninstalled and then reinstalled my keyboard from Device Manager, but the problem persists. Please help me with this issue.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (166 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion g6-1320se keyboard disfunctional

Hi,

While this may be a hardware issue, it's always worth trying the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Lord_Stan
Message 3 of 4 (163 Views)

I have tried the above with my bios menu but the keyboard issue persists. Does this mean that this is a hardware problem? I've been reluctant to open up my laptop and look for dust and am not sure if this could be the cause. I have never unscrewed my laptop casing.
Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 4 (155 Views)

Hi,

My best guess would be that you'll need a new keyboard, but to confirm that, the machine would need to be examined by a repair shop.

If you have some experience with notebook hardware, it may be worth trying to remove and reconnect the keyboard - the procedure is detailed starting on Page 63 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation