HP Pavillion PCDV71464NR. HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device (6485 Views)
Top Student
resorts
Message 1 of 11 (6,485 Views)

HP Pavillion PCDV71464NR. HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device

Hello:

I have an HP Pavillion PC DV7 1464NR that came installed with an HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device DVD drive. I installed windows 7 when I received the laptop. Once I installed win7 the DVD drive stopped working. It is recognized and reads standard CDs. (program and video). But no longer writes ANY CDs nor does it even recognize RW CDs OR DVDs at all. I'm fairly certain it's a driver but cannot find a windows 7 driver for this drive. I tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail.

Can you point me to a WINDOWS 7 driver for this DVD drive? 

(HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device)

MANY THANKS!

=Dave=

Grad Student
Futureperfect
Message 2 of 11 (6,451 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion PCDV71464NR. HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device

Hiya,

A suggestion for you would be to download HP Support Assistant (http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/us/en/pclc/articles/hp-support-assistant.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN) and run the Optical Drive Diagnostics

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Top Student
resorts
Message 3 of 11 (6,447 Views)

Hello:

I tried installing this program a few weeks ago (I just tried it again). It consistantly gives me a "1603 fatal error during installation". I tried RE downloading it twice (and again just now in case there was a newer version) with the same results. It doesn't seem to work on my machine.

ANY other suggestions would be VERY much appreciated.

=Dave=

Top Student
draftyJungle
Message 4 of 11 (5,784 Views)

any luck? I just upgraded to win7 pro x64 and am now experiencing this issue. the device won't recognize dvd, br, or lightscribe. prior to the upgrade, all methods were working properly. mr fix it didn't work, hp assistant didn't work, and there appears to be nill information arround the internet pertaining to this.
Has anyone found a fix?
Top Student
draftyJungle
Message 5 of 11 (5,725 Views)

a whole 723 views to this page and nobody knows anything. I sure was hoping the internet community was a little brighter these days. please excuse the insult, but does anyone have a fix for this issue?
Honor Student
crdeaver
Message 6 of 11 (5,054 Views)

I've come across a lot of posts from loyal hp customers who are patiently waiting rather than joining class action suits for a solution to this problem: after free win7 upgrade the BDDVDRW stops working. I don't have a solution but I do have a question that could possibly lead to a solution. I noticed there is no 64bit driver directory in windows. Could the problem be that the we need 64bit drivers for the BDDVDRW . Or a reinstall of the upgrade as a 32bit system.????

Honor Student
MADDOGPILOT
Message 7 of 11 (4,944 Views)

[ Edited ]

Solved!    This is a problem with the registry!    I haven't installed itunes but, I did discover the Blue Ray player would not work one afternoon about 2 months ago while in New Mexico.    I don't know if the problem is a result of running a registry cleaner or what but, I've had to fix this same error twice now in the last two months.  

As I mentioned, this is a registry problem.   I too am using an HP DV7 running Windows 7.   This is how I've resolved this problem in the registry using Win 7:

1. Click on the Start button and type regedit, and then click on the Program at the top of the program window.
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
   2. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
   3. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
   4. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
   5. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
   6. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
   7. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
   8. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
   9. Exit Registry Editor.
  10. Restart the computer.

This should fix the problem but I don't know what the root cause is!

So good luck and I hope this helps everyone.  

Honor Student
crdeaver
Message 8 of 11 (4,938 Views)

There are so many complaints of this exact problem an none of the solutions offered work. Is it not time HP admitted the device is faulty and replace them? I have tried twice to order a new one through the hp parts store and twice my order has been cancelled. I was told that hp no longer supports the device. Then why do they still offer parts?

Top Student
resorts
Message 9 of 11 (4,353 Views)

I've posted on EVERY board I could about this problem. Forget it. As far as I can see it's a lost cause. There is NO solution to this. I may have to buy an external drive. Now I can't even re-install my Win7 because I can't even READ DVDs.   VERY frustrating!!!  HP should be ashamed.

Student
vgray
Message 10 of 11 (4,210 Views)

this has not worked for me, I am tired of being offered all of these rinky dinky download tools...they are junk!!!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation