Question
HP Pavillion dv6000 cd/dvd drive not working
Replies (58)

Top Student
jorton
Message 11 of 59 (35,564 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion dv6000 cd/dvd drive not working

Hi Monster,

I've not had any joy on finding the drivers. Tried everything mentioned above and more and still no good.

If you find the drivers please let me know.

Thanks

Provost
CherylG
Message 12 of 59 (35,558 Views)

Try MS Fixit:

http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
jorton
Message 13 of 59 (35,555 Views)

Tried Fixit but it can find the drive to fix it

Student
Flagelpater
Message 14 of 59 (35,530 Views)

Just a little trouble finding the right place in the registry, but after I found it and deleted the filer, it worked!  Thank you.  I have been looking for an answer for months!

Student
ganeshenn
Message 15 of 59 (35,510 Views)

Similarly, woke up one morning to find my HP 6710B DVD drive not working. Realized the drive is at no fault, it boots with boot disks and works fine in WinXP but not in Vista. It has been working since 2008, what caused a failure suddenly is really bothering. Tried removing upper & lower filter, uninstalling the driver and rebooting. The CD/DVD drive is a zombie in Vista. It can however recognize blank CD/DVD, but pre-recorded media keeps the drive busy to infinity.

Honor Student
monstertrucker3
Message 16 of 59 (35,440 Views)

I think I've come up with a theory.   Ok so my wireless card died about 4 months ago.  I was told that the intense heat built up in the unit has caused the wee little switch to loose connection where its soldered, killing the card completely.    Not long after that, one of the two USB drives on the side died, appears to be the same reason as to why.     A few weeks before my DVD rom drive died, it would continuously pop itself open, randomly, sometimes it would refuse to open, sometimes would not open due to "lack of power"  

So with that said, Im wondering if the little pins that the DVD drive hooks into on the motherboard have become unsoldered, causing it to lose connection, therefore it cant find it.   BIOS says its there, yet even with it first in line in the boot order, I cannot boot on a disk.   I had planned on trying the drive on linux to see if its just a problem/virus in Winblows but unfortunately thats not happening.  

Just an idea guys.   Sorry to see you are in the same boat as me.    Definately the last time I buy HP laptops. 

Honor Student
lfarj100
Message 17 of 59 (35,129 Views)

I've had the same problem, i've tried everything and nothing worked, until.............................

I unscrewed the CD-ROM drive and unplugged it. Then I repluged it and, TA DA..... I have a CD-ROM DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really easy, even a beginner could do it!.

Here's a step-by-step

You only gotta take out the FIRST screw, (Step 1 to 5 on the step-by-step). The rest, we don't need to worry about it.

Hope it works for all of you.

Top Student
jorton
Message 18 of 59 (35,096 Views)

Hi thanks for the tip but still not working, I think its gone forever

Student
Mates-Rates-PCs
Message 19 of 59 (33,361 Views)

Hi I have recently had this problem on one of my customers laptops. The optical drive did not show in the bios or through the operating system. After trying all the software fixes i could find through the internet i eventually found that the solution was nothing to do with the software.

The solution i found to fix this fault was to re-flow the gpu chip on the motherboard even though there was nothing wrong with the video output to the screen. I don't actually know why this cured the fault but it did all the same.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having the same problem.

Student
vrios
Message 20 of 59 (33,218 Views)

[ Edited ]

hey man would it effect my computer by deleting files or anything if i do that?

plz hit me upp...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation