Question
HP Pavillion dv6000 cd/dvd drive not working
Replies (58)

Student
VTJ134
Message 31 of 59 (16,494 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion desktop cd/dvd drive not working

Thank you so much for this information. Spent 3 days deleting drivers, installing new cd drive, etc, and nothing worked, but this. Thanks again. Need to mention, that used this procedure on non-HP desktop and had it running in couple of minutes

Student
triplen
Message 32 of 59 (16,217 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6000 cd/dvd drive not working

Oh -- I tried many suggestion nothing worked -- Here is what worked for me

OS is Windows Vista problem  : Missing CD/DVD device in the Device Manger

1.  Restart the HP notebook and  press  F10 for BIOS 

2.  Make sure the CD/DVD is enabled

3.  Change the sequence of boot 

-- I moved the Floppy to the First or some thing ,  Orginally the CD/DVD was first in the bootSequence )

4 save and exit

5. Restarting the Vista , every thing is back. !!!

As I understand from other posts, I may lose DVD again .  I will try changing the boot  seq again and see if does the magic

Here is more detail which may help if you try to download the  the device Driver. 

HP Pavilion dv6500

DeviceDriver shows the CD/DVD -ROS drives

Mat**bleep**a DVD RAM UJ-851S ATA Device

Driver file details show the following files used from <Windows>/system32/drivers

cdrom.sys

GearAspiWDM.sys

PxHelp20.sys

I have no idea about the above files but  some tech guys may able to use the file names

Hope this helps some one ( took me 4 hours for this resolution !!  my son is happy  it is his computer : )  it was worth the time  :smileyhappy:  

Student
cmpattee62
Message 33 of 59 (15,967 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion dv6000 cd/dvd drive not working

Excellent fix. I have DVD backing working again!!!! Thank youj

Student
CLRemy
Message 34 of 59 (15,754 Views)

I used the fix to get my dvd drive to work after having iTunes on my computer and it worked. My comuter just updated with the  newest iTunes update  the fix is not working now. Please help.

Student
hskr23
Message 35 of 59 (15,707 Views)

[ Edited ]

Had this problem with my DV6701. Not exactly sure when it happened, whether it was the install of Win7, or installing iTunes. My DVD was recognized in my device manager, but wouldn't read cds or DVDs, and never showed up under my computer.  Decided to try the easiest "solution" listed here with the registry update deleting the upperfilter value, and it worked for me.

BTW, there were multiple places I had to update the registry as I didn't have just one "control" folder.

Student
SweatyMale
Message 36 of 59 (15,419 Views)

I wasted hours on this...

tried all the install this and uninstall that advice...

in the end I took out the rubber plug at the back.. unscrewed the DVD drive and popped it out.

then I blew all the dust out of it and plugged it back in.

works great.

I thought I would go to all the hassle of joining up with HP, answering all their stupid questions,... so I might prevent some other poor sucker going through the wasted hours that I did...

take it apart and blow the dust out (there was a lot ... household dust...)

Honor Student
gremlincomputer
Message 37 of 59 (14,286 Views)

Some versions of I tunes will conflict with with the D driver in win 7 either uninstall I tunes or look for a newer version
Student
ZOKO123
Message 38 of 59 (12,334 Views)

BTW What you have deleted is not the CD/DVD upper filters that's the hard disk 

Student
Beaniesway
Message 39 of 59 (11,252 Views)

***reply from HP on issue with the cd / dvd player all of a sudden not working and no drivers **

This is in response to your e-mail regarding the HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower PC (ENERGY STAR).

I understand from the case notes that you are experiencing an issue with the DVD drive which is not functioning properly.

To facilitate accurate problem identification and the fastest possible resolution of this issue, it is important for us to troubleshoot remotely.
1.    From how long you are experiencing the issue?
2.    Any recent Hardware/software changes?
3.    Is the DVD is detecting under My Computer and in Device manager?
If no, please perform the Upper filter and Lower filter by following below steps and check for the issue.
Click the following Microsoft Fix it Solution to clean the registry filters automatically:

1.    If you cannot use the Microsoft Fix it Solution, continue using these steps to clear the upper and lower registry filters manually.

2.    Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras.
3.    Click Start, and type "regedit " into the Start Search field.
          The registry editor window appears.
4.    Select Computer in the main window.
5.    Click File, Export, type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and click Save.
A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
6.    Click the plus sign (+ ) next to the following items in the list:
             HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
             SYSTEM
            Current Control Set
            Control
            Class
7.    Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Make sure you have selected this exact key name.
8.    Select the Lower Filters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.
9.    If an Upper Filters value is also listed, selects UpperFilters in the right window and presses the Delete key.
                    Confirm the deletion by clicking yes.
10. Delete all other Upper Filter and Lower Filter values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if they exist.

11. Close the registry editor and restart the computer. The disc drive should now be recognized by Windows. You may need to uninstall your disc recording software, restart the computer, reinstall the CD/DVD writing software, and then restart the computer again if the software no longer recognizes the drive

You could get more information from the following web-link: (this link refers to vista) suposed to work with other operating sytems too

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c00817052...

Student
RYAN_W0LFE
Message 40 of 59 (10,100 Views)

Hey guys!!! I found out i was having this issue with my Windows 7 machine.. and i resolved it!..

Follow these steps:

1) Uninstall your CD/DVD drive from your system

2) Reinstall your CD/DVD drive

3) Right click on your hard drive and go to properties

4) SWITCH YOUR REGION TO YOUR COUNTRY

5) Enjoy!

Mines was set to region 1 (US) and my DVD's would not work, i then updated this to UK (region 2)!

Let me know how this works guys!

Chris

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation