Question

Student
rpanicke
Message 1 of 4 (6,680 Views)

HP Pavillion dv6000z Hard Drive Adapter to USB

My laptop just died on me and will not power up.  I need to read the contents of the hard drive to save my files before I trash this laptop.  Of course HP has made a proprietary connection on these SATA hard drives so it is not possible to use my SATA to USB cables to connect my hard drive to a computer and copy over all the files I need to save.

I was wondering if anyone knew of an adapter that would either connect directly to the HP SATA connection to USB, or if there was an adapter which would turn the HP SATA connection to the STANDARD SATA connection.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 4 (6,664 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion dv6000z Hard Drive Adapter to USB

You need to subtract something, not add something. There is a plastic connector bar over the SATA connection. Removing it will reveal the standard SATA interface.

Intern
NautTboy
Message 3 of 4 (6,651 Views)

Just need files off Hard Drive?

There's many type of adapters out there.

There's one that USB to IDE2.5/IDE3.5/SATA.

If you have a newer desktop with Sata that's even faster hooking up as a slave drive.

clevbucki
Message 4 of 4 (5,816 Views)

That's it!!!!!! Thanks! Now I'm back in business...I thought I was going to have to make a trip back to the store.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation