Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've some problems (re-)installing Windows 8 on a ProBook 4540s.

The laptop had a virus so I decided to reinstall Windows 8. I bootet with a Linux Rescue CD and made a backup of my personal data. Then I erased the hdd (using Gparted) (except the first two partitions (System and Boot) and rebootet with the HP Windows 8 DVD. I could still see the drive and the different partitions, but Windows wouldn't let me install on any of them. So next I tried to create two partitions with Gparted directly, but now I don't see a drive at all and get following error message:

We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver.

I googled a bit and tried to switch between IDE and AHCI in the BIOS, but that didnt help. Then I copied most of the drivers from the Support Center on a Flash drive and browsed for suitable drivers there, but no luck. I also tried to search on the Application and Driver Recovery DVD that came with Windows 8 directly but no Luck there as well.

I'm a bit at my wits end now, any help would be really appreciated.

Not sure if this is the correct board, please move if not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I deleted the 300MiB windows partition as well and now I can see and select some drives in the windows installer again. The problem is that windows won't continue due to different errors. (See attachments) 

The problem seems to be that my disc is dynamic. I found a guide to convert the hdd back to basic. So my question is, will this help or does my HP DVD expect the hdd to be dynamic?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I deleted the 300MiB windows partition as well and now I can see and select some drives in the windows installer again. The problem is that windows won't continue due to different errors. (See attachments) 

The problem seems to be that my disc is dynamic. I found a guide to convert the hdd back to basic. So my question is, will this help or does my HP DVD expect the hdd to be dynamic?

HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't help you with much, except to say that this is what normally works when you get windows asking for disk drivers to install W8 on a completely blank and formatted drive in NTFS, and with the BIOS drive controller set to AHCI:

Download the drivers from this link below (first or second file listed -- 32 or 64 bit as applicable).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23060&keyword=Intel+Rapi...

Extract the files onto a usb flash drive.

With the flash drive and W8 installation media plugged into the machine, boot from the W8 installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Follow the prompts and W8 should install.

HP Recommended

Converting the disc from dynamic to basic did the trick, after that the installation went smoothly.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.