Question

Tutor
champion-7891
Message 1 of 3 (9,933 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Probook 4540s: Fingerprint Scanner Not Working

Hi,

Problem: Fingerprint Scanner - Windows log in does not give option to log in via fingerprint scanner. 

Overview: After installing fingerprint drivers from the HP site and using the HP Protect Tools to successfully enroll fingerprint, I tried logging in via this method but the windows log in screen does not display this option. Device manager correctly identifies and shows the fingerprint sensor - however, the control panel says no biometric devices detected.

I really need help in sorting out this issue. Details of what steps I took trying to make the scanner work are given below. 

Specs

1) Probook 4540s

2) Windows 7 64-bit

3) i5-3210m, 1Gb Hd 7650m, 4 Gb 1333Mhz, 750Gb 5400rpm, VFS 491 Fingerprint scanner.

Details of the problem and steps I took to install drivers:

After a fresh installation of Windows 7, I went to the HP driver site to download the latest drivers for Probook 4540s:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5229457&...

I installed the drivers in roughly this order:

1)realtek ethernet controller drivers,

2)audio drivers,

3) the chipset and USB 3.0 drivers (but not the Intel MEI driver)

4) Intel video driver: faced an issue such that drivers were not being allowed to install. After disabling switchable graphics in the bios, I was able to get these drivers to install.

5) AMD video drivers: installed after the intel HD graphics driver - installed but Catalyst Control Center was not being displayed. So I re-enabled switchable graphics in BIOS, re-installed these drivers and CCC was now available.

6) HP hotkey support

7) HP universal camera driver

8) Validity Fingerprint sensor

9) Synaptics Touchpad driver

10) Atheros wifi & bluetooth

11) Jmicron card reader

After driver installation, I installed the HP Protect Tools. After prompting for a PC reboot - which I did - it asked for setup of security etc.. Part of this pocess was the enrolling of my fingerprints - successful. However, upon log off/ restart of windows, an option to log in with the fingerprint scanner did not appear in the Windows log in screen.

I opened the Control Panel, and found there was no biometric devices tab, even though device manager showed biometric device and validity sensor (VFS 491). I then proceeded to uninstall HP protect tools and the validity driver for the fingerprint sensor, then made sure these services were running:

-Credential Manager

-Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

-DCOM Server Process Launcher

-RPC Endpoint Mapper

-Windows Biometric Service

-Plug and Play

Then as suggested in another forum post, I first installed this :http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55109.exe and then the validity drivers from 4540s drivers page, and then HP Protect Tools.

After reboot HP Protect Tools as before would enroll my fingerprints, but again no prompt at windows login came to log in with fingerprint. However, one change after the installtion of http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp55001-55500/sp55109.exe was that in control panel there is now a tab for biometric devices; however, it says that windows did not find any biometric devices installed. An image is attached showing both the device manager and the control panel!

Please HP provide a solution. Thanks!

Untitled.png

Tutor
champion-7891
Message 2 of 3 (9,868 Views)

Re: HP Probook 4540s: Fingerprint Scanner Not Working

Ok problem solved. I dont know whether it is related to the installation of HP windows 7 Essential System Updates and Intel MEI driver or not - but I did install these.

What really worked without doubt was this - > install both the fingerprint drivers and then the HP Protect Tools. Once rebooted, open HP Protect tools, then go to administration in the bottom right corner -> Administrative Console ->Increase System security -> tick windows login security and your done. Now you will be able to log in via enrolled fingerprints.
Student
PeNeLoPe1978
Message 3 of 3 (8,080 Views)

Re: HP Probook 4540s: Fingerprint Scanner Not Working

HP usually hides their credentials manager, and it's even harder to find in Windows 8. If you can get into a search of your computer, looking up HP protect tools will usually direct you right to the set up. I just got a new probook today, and it didn't default to set up the fingerprint scanner. I had to look for the credentials manager.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation