Question
HP ScanJet 5370c driver for Windows 7 Ultimate
Replies (51)

Student
WWSH
Message 21 of 52 (8,524 Views)

Re: HP ScanJet 5370c driver for Windows 7

Hello everybody, it is now the  1 9 .   o f   F e b r u a r y   2 0  11 .  I upgraded my Computer to Win 7. Tried to get my HP5370c run under Win7. I checked theHP homepge

Billh524 wrote:

I too have the same issue with HP on this.  I have a perfectly good 5370C ScanJet that is now unusable since I purchased a new HP desktop running Windows 7.  I believe this decision is totally irresponsible of HP an a clear indication of how their corporate culture has evolved into a profit over the needs of customers mindset. 

driver section to get a correct driver. Unfortunately- still, i couldn t find a driver for Win7.

So, it seems, my Scanner 5370c, which worked under XP always fine, is now useless !!!   I can't believe this!!!!!

So, does somebody know, when the correct driver is programmed and distributed ? 

Many thanks for info.

Honor Student
Wroots
Message 22 of 52 (8,359 Views)

Re: HP ScanJet 5370c driver for Windows 7 Ultimate

I have the same problem too. It's not as though these scanjet 5370C scanners are cheap. I paid over $500 for mine, and I bought it specifically to scan slides and negatives.

You'd think that the least HP could do is create a driver for their customers. Someone made a good point re landfilling items that have been made obsolete due to the lack of a driver. HP, if you're listening, be a good environmental steward and help reduce unnecessary waste. If you provide a driver it will keep these scanners and their toxic components out of the landfill.

At present, all I can do is keep the scanner connected to my old computer and connect my old computer to my new one. This is annoying and takes up space in my office. Every time I go through extra steps to scan something I feel irritated by HP's lack of consideration for its customers.

Well, if I am forced to buy a new scanner, guess what brand I'm going to avoid? No prizes.

Honor Student
Wroots
Message 23 of 52 (8,358 Views)

I have the same problem too. It's not as though these scanjet 5370C scanners are cheap. I paid over $500 for mine, and I bought it specifically to scan slides and negatives.

You'd think that the least HP could do is create a driver for their customers. Someone made a good point re landfilling items that have been made obsolete due to the lack of a driver. HP, if you're listening, be a good environmental steward and help reduce unnecessary waste. If you provide a driver it will keep these scanners and their toxic components out of the landfill.

At present, all I can do is keep the scanner connected to my old computer and connect my old computer to my new one. This is annoying and takes up space in my office. Every time I go through extra steps to scan something I feel irritated by HP's lack of consideration for its customers.

Well, if I am forced to buy a new scanner, guess what brand I'm going to avoid? No prizes.

Top Student
Isewsockmonkies
Message 24 of 52 (8,346 Views)

On message 19 of this thread I posted what solved the problem for me.    The software can be tried out for free, and costs $39 which is considerably less than a new scanner.  

Student
paultraf
Message 25 of 52 (8,192 Views)

Hello,

I've just bought my first PC with Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) and eventually managed to get the HP ScanJet 5370C working via USB using Virtual PC and XP Mode.   After installing the Scanjet software on the virtual PC, I found it necessary to explicitly enable the scanner as a USB device from within the XP Mode virtual PC: along the top there is a row of menu items; click on the USB menu and attach the unidentified device corresponding to the scanner.  

I've run light tests with HP Precision Scan Pro and Abbyy Finereader (both running on the virtual PC).  So far all seems fine.

I hope this helps.

- Paul

Student
Owigger
Message 26 of 52 (7,564 Views)

Hi everyone.  I have a simple solution that works every time.  Invest in a 2nd hard disc and load it with XP.  When you boot, the computer will ask you if you want to log in to Windows 7 or "Earlier Versions"  (XP in my case).  You computer then thinks it is an XP machine, and anything that works in XP will run without any problem.  There is also no crossover between operatiing systems which ====>  better safety.  You can store your data on either drive.  When running XP this way, your Windows 7 disc becomes the slave and you can access anything there.  When running Windows 7 your XP disc will be the slave.  On my relatively old computer -  Dell Dimension 3100 with 2 GB or memory.  Both XP and Windows 7 are working great.  I've also found most of my XP programs are running fine on Windows 7 (Office 2003, Adobe CS2 - that's right 2 - and many many more.  So, life isn't perfect.  I'm sure not going to spend any more time worrying about this problem.  By the way, I also found a drive for my 12 yr old HP1100 LaserJet printer which is working great on Windows 7.  I hope this might set some of your minds to rest easier.  2 minutes isn't that great a loss of time.  And, hey guys, don't you find yourself using the scanner for doing lots of stuff at one time?  What's 2 minutes anyway.  On those newer systems most of you have, it will probably take only 1 minute (like if you have an Intel 7 with 4 cores.  Life's too short to fret over this little stuff. 

Student
WHTurgeon
Message 27 of 52 (7,268 Views)

Re: HP ScanJet 5370c driver for Windows 7 (Any Version)

[ Edited ]

The whole point of this string of posts is that H-P is just ignoring its' customers!

There has not even been the courtesy of a reply from them here!

I too, have a 5370C scanner and now need to use it with Windows 7. It is too expensive a scanner to just JUNK because there are no drivers for it!

While compatibility mode MAY be a viable solution for some, it is not for others.

Given the amount of time it should take for a skilled programmer who is well versed in writing drivers to complete such a task, it would behoove HP to LISTEN to its' customers and provide that driver.

I have been in the IT industry for well over thirty years now and in the past, I have always recommended H-P to my clients without reservation. Over the last couple of years now, I have had second thoughts. This is not an isolated incident!

HP, you would do well to provide support for your products in cases like this, where the cost to you is minimal. With all the money you are spending on marketing your product, you have missed the simple fact that failure to support your clients does you more harm than can be easily repaired by more and more expensive advertising.

This is a good example in point. You have customers here that need a simple device driver. Scanner technology does not change as fast as the operating systems do and forcing a customer to junk a perfectly good scanner simply turns them off of your brand name. We all know that core hardware (like servers etc.) and operating systems are progressing at a rapid pace and the individual manufacturers cannot be held responsible if their products become obsoleted by newer technology and have to be replaced. BUT when one is dealing with a fundamental technology (such as document scanning) that does not change radically and the only reason for having to junk a perfectly good piece of equipment is the fact that the manufacturer will not make the effort to write a simple driver for it, then customers WILL start to lose the brand loyalty that you have worked so hard to build up!

I, for one, am now much less likely to recommend H-P products to my clients as I cannot risk my reputation by recommending equipment that the manufacturer will not support for no other reason than the simple fact that they want to sell a new one! There is enough of that in the mainstream product lines (like servers) where obsolescence is a fact of life!

It is quite easy to explain to a client that their three or four year old file server needs replacement in order to support the changing requirements of the newer operating systems. It is quite another thing to tell the same client that a perfectly good printer or scanner (especially the more expensive ones like this) needs to be replaced just because the manufacturer will not write a driver to support it!

The 'fixes' offered here may work for some people (especially home users or hobbyists) but they are NOT good solutions for the work environment where things have to be simple and just work without 'jumping through hoops'.

HP, do you even have the courtesy to reply to any of these messages? If you had any good reasons for not providing the drivers (other than the fact that it would cost you a few hundred dollars of a developer's time) then an explanation would go a long way to ameliorating the annoyance the people here are feeling.

Ignoring casual home users is one thing, although still not good practice. Ignoring long-term, respected consultants  and corporate clients is quite another, and will cost you market share quite quickly!

Retired
SedonaF
Message 28 of 52 (7,265 Views)

Welcome to the HP Consumer Support Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but this is a peer-to-peer community for customers to connect and share solutions regarding their HP products. It is not a venue to contact HP directly. If you have additional or direct feedback for HP about their products or services, please use the link below for alternate contacts.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-information/summary/ww-contact-us.html

Also, if you are looking for solutions for business consumer level products, you may have a better response at the forums for business support:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Support-Forums/ct-p/business-support

If you have other questions and concerns about using the forum, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

Clicking the "Kudos star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!

When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button to help other members in the future!

Rules of Participation
Top Student
Isewsockmonkies
Message 29 of 52 (7,259 Views)

As I posted earlier in this thread, the Hamrick software bridges the gap.   My father has been using his 5370C scanner with  Windows 7 successfully ever since he installed it.  You can try the software for free, so you will know how it works in your environment before you invest a dime.  There's no need to junk the scanner.

Student
Tori17
Message 30 of 52 (6,969 Views)

Ditto to what everyone else is saying.  I just bought a new HP Pavilion desktop and all my other devices work except the HP ScanJet 5370c scanner.  Why isn't there a driver update yet????  I love my scanner  (or did)!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation