Question

Student
squinn2013
Message 1 of 9 (507 Views)

HP Split X2 (i3 processor) Fan Screaming a High-Pitched Whine

Fantastic HP.  Bought this laptop in late October.  Never dropped it, never stuck a sack of bricks on it, never operated it on a construction site or some other dirt-filled environment.  Here we are in February, 3 full months later, and the fan is screeching and whining like the laptop's 5 years old. 

Is there somewhere on the HP site I can find parts for sale?  I stupidly opted not to get the warranty (I mean, what could go wrong with HP's build quality in that time, right?).  So now I'm going to enjoy, briefly, cracking open this piece of computer, rip out the malfunctioning fan, and put in a new one.  If only I can find one for sale.

Specs:

HP Split 13 x2 PC

E0W59UA#ABA

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3229Y CPU @ 1.40GHz

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 2 of 9 (475 Views)

Re: HP Split X2 (i3 processor) Fan Screaming a High-Pitched Whine

Hello squinn2013,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I can answer your question about where to buy parts. You can purchase parts from the HP Parts Store, but I do not think this is the route you should take at first. HP devices come with a factory warranty. Now I do not know where you are located, but I would advise you to check to ensure that you are not in warranty before commiting yourself to replacing a fan. The replacing of the fan would void your warranty as well as cost you unnecessary money if you are in warranty. I would advise you to contact HP technical support for repair options. There is nothing saying you have to pay if you are not in warranty you can always make the repair as you intended.

US support link to contact options for HP products purchased in the US.

Outside of US support link to contact options for HP products purchased outside the US.

I hope I have addressed your issue to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Honor Student
SteMar
Message 3 of 9 (232 Views)

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with my HP Split X2 (E0W59UA #ABA).  The fan was screaming.  Now it has stopped all together and I get a fan failure warning on bootup. 

I bought the computer in the US, but am currrently working in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  I can't seem to get through the Customer Service options on the website here in Brazil. 

1.  Am I correct to assume that my warranty would be valid here in Brazil? It's less than a year old.

2.  And do you have any contact information for Sao Paulo, Brazil?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 4 of 9 (212 Views)

Hello SteMar,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are looking to get in touch with HP Technical Support in Brazil. You can contact them via the following link to HP Technical Support - Brazil. As for your warranty information I am providing you with the HP Support document: Global Warranty and FAQs, which should answer your questions.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a wonderful day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Honor Student
SteMar
Message 5 of 9 (201 Views)

Hi Dunidar,

Thank you for your help.  The link took me to the correct info.  The warranty page seems to indicate that it would be honored here in Brazil.  But, when I called tech support, they said that they do not honor computers purchased elsewhere. 

My only concern is that I purchased the computer from Best Buy in December 2013. It was a shelf model and for some reason, the message that just popped up on the computer shows that the warranty expiration is July of this year.  I won't be back in the US until August, and I don't want to get stuck with a non-working computer. 

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

SteMar

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 6 of 9 (198 Views)

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Student
swm7165
Message 7 of 9 (91 Views)

Hey there,

I am having the same EXACT probelm. It is really annoying. I cant even bring my laptop out to work without people looking at me crazy. Any luck getting the fan fixed? I am also out of warrenty. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Omar-E
Message 8 of 9 (83 Views)

@swm7165 

Thank you for using HP support forum. I have sent you a private message. If you’re unsure how to check your private messages please click here.
Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
Student
sktiwary
Message 9 of 9 (22 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm facing through the same problem. My SPLIT X2's fan is screaming unconditionally, though have never used at dusty site. I'm located at Ranchi - Jharkhand (INDIA).

Its just been an year and sounds like as if I've been using it for a decade.

My device is now out of warranty time slot. Help!

:smileysad:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation