HP Split X2 (i3 processor) Fan Screaming a High-Pitched Whine (219 Views)
Student
squinn2013
Message 1 of 2 (219 Views)

HP Split X2 (i3 processor) Fan Screaming a High-Pitched Whine

Fantastic HP.  Bought this laptop in late October.  Never dropped it, never stuck a sack of bricks on it, never operated it on a construction site or some other dirt-filled environment.  Here we are in February, 3 full months later, and the fan is screeching and whining like the laptop's 5 years old. 

Is there somewhere on the HP site I can find parts for sale?  I stupidly opted not to get the warranty (I mean, what could go wrong with HP's build quality in that time, right?).  So now I'm going to enjoy, briefly, cracking open this piece of computer, rip out the malfunctioning fan, and put in a new one.  If only I can find one for sale.

Specs:

HP Split 13 x2 PC

E0W59UA#ABA

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3229Y CPU @ 1.40GHz

HP
Dunidar
Message 2 of 2 (187 Views)

Re: HP Split X2 (i3 processor) Fan Screaming a High-Pitched Whine

Hello squinn2013,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I can answer your question about where to buy parts. You can purchase parts from the HP Parts Store, but I do not think this is the route you should take at first. HP devices come with a factory warranty. Now I do not know where you are located, but I would advise you to check to ensure that you are not in warranty before commiting yourself to replacing a fan. The replacing of the fan would void your warranty as well as cost you unnecessary money if you are in warranty. I would advise you to contact HP technical support for repair options. There is nothing saying you have to pay if you are not in warranty you can always make the repair as you intended.

US support link to contact options for HP products purchased in the US.

Outside of US support link to contact options for HP products purchased outside the US.

I hope I have addressed your issue to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation