Question

Top Student
Stanford769
Message 1 of 21 (30,442 Views)

HP Touch Pad Not Working

I have an HP Pavilion g7 laptop, with the built-in touchpad under the "Space" bar.  Just above the touch pad and to the left, there is a small built-in green light that has always come on whenever I boot up, indicating the touch pad is functioning.  This morning, however, the green light was on and had turned to a yellow-orange position.  Yes, obviously the touchpad isn't working; and I can't figure out what has happened and how to get it working again.  Nothing unusual happened last night when I turned off the computer (the green light was on), nor this morning when I booted up.  The light somehow had turned yellow-orange.

How do I get it up and running again?  Thanks in advance.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 21 (30,439 Views)

Re: HP Touch Pad Not Working

Hi,

Does double-tapping the top left corner of the TouchPad ( where the LED is ) turn it back on?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Stanford769
Message 3 of 21 (30,436 Views)

David:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I double-tapped on the upper lefthand corner; however, the green light did not come on.  After I did the original posting, I decided to simply shut down the computer and do a cold boot-up.  For some reason, when the 'puter got up and running again, the green light still wasn't on ... but the touch pad was working!

i think I'm more confused now than ever.  Can you tell me just WHAT the green light signifies, or in this case what not having a green light means?  So, just what's not functioning?  duh ...

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 21 (30,428 Views)

Hi,

The Green light should indicate the TouchPad is on and the Amber light should display when the pad is off - the normal way to toggle between these Two states is to double-tap on the area of this LED.

The fact that it's not indicating correctly may be because the incorrect driver has been loaded by an update etc.

Can you post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 32bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Stanford769
Message 5 of 21 (30,426 Views)

David:

Thanks very much again.  I will get back to you later this evening when I am home, can prop my feet up and enjoy a nice cold brewski ... I appreciate your help.

BTW, I just doubletapped again on the LED light and the light finally came on ... however it was the yellow-amber color.  Double tapped again, hoping it would turn green ... however it simply went out completely.  I am bamboozled!  Will get back to you later tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks, David

- Stan

Top Student
Stanford769
Message 6 of 21 (30,401 Views)

[ Edited ]

David:

Good morning ... I believe I have the information you asked for, concerning the touch pad on my HP-Laptop and the green/amber light on the top lefthand corner of the touch pad.

Product Key:

{Removed for privacy}

Other:

00196-161-721-764

BarCode: 584037-001

"Windows 7 Home Prem OA"

The above information is a cut-and-paste from the label on the back side of the laptop.  I hope the information you specifically need is in the above info.  Will wait to hear from you.  Thanks again, David.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 7 of 21 (30,394 Views)

Hi,

Unfortunately, none of the details are the Model or Product number.

Your specific Model No. will be one of These.

The Product No. will look like this example LF161UA#

Either of the above will be fine.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
Stanford769
Message 8 of 21 (30,387 Views)

it is now 8:54 a.m. here in Dallas ... I am already at my wit's end trying to install the latest version of the HP Support Assistant, which you apparently need to determine the Model or Product Number.  Apparently the previous information I sent yesterday didn't help .  However, please note that that information was literally a "cut and paste" of all the information that is on the underside tag of the laptop.  I noticed that apparently there should be a "hatch" tag in one of the numbers.  However ... please note that there is NOT any "hatch tag" -- # --- underneath at all.

In addition, installing the latest version of the HP Support Assistant has turned into a nightmare ... a real Chinese fire drill.  At one point, there were so many windows that popped up telling me what to do next that at one point I was simultaneously installing and UNINSTALLING the version at the same time.  In my frustration, i simply started all over and began RE-INSTALLING that download.

Again, I am at my wit's end already; and HP's usual accurarcy and technical prowess is nowhere to be found.  Again, the information I sent yesterday was accurate and was a "cut and paste" of all the information in the underneath label.  For now, I will keep endeavoring; however a bit of support with ACCURATE information would be greatly appreciated.  tks.

Top Student
Stanford769
Message 9 of 21 (30,385 Views)

David:

It is now 9:21 am ... I finally .... FINALLY ... got all of the downloading finish and have the latest version of the HP Support Assistant running.

The following information is displayed within a rather large window with a black background with HP Support Assistant displayed at the top.  At the very bottom of that window, in the bottom left-hand corner is this information:

Settings: 

Product name: HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC

Serial Number 3CF11649K1

Product Number LF157UAR#ABA

is THIS that long-awatied information you need?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 10 of 21 (30,377 Views)

Hi,

The product No. is fine.

First, download the latest Synaptics driver installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54001-54500/sp54040.exe

Next, open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click the entry 'Synaptics Pointing Device Driver' and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, restart the notebook.

When windows has fully reloaded, open your Downloads folder, right click the Synaptics installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Let me know if this has helped the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation