Question

Top Student
scottnj1966
Message 1 of 14 (7,542 Views)

HP Truevision HD webcam issues

HP Truevision HD built in webcam

Brand new dv6-6b47dx laptop

Webcam works terribly.

It is using a Microsoft driver from 2006. This makes no sense.

HP has no driver for the webcam.

I have read all over the net that all the dv6's have webcam issues.

HP will you be releasing a driver for the webcams or not.

If not I will return laptop and buy another brand

I do not want a link to the cyberlink software. That is not the driver. That is add on software.

Someone at HP must know how to get things done.

Top Student
Sammmeh
Message 2 of 14 (7,518 Views)

Re: HP Truevision HD webcam issues

I found your post too...that makes me another one. I have been looking for the latest driver for the past two days hoping that will resolve the crappy webcam issue...i believe HP is false advertising their products.

Top Student
scottnj1966
Message 3 of 14 (7,487 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok it shows experts online now. Is this true or not?

HP. Do you have a driver for your camera. Right now you are using a 4 year old Microsoft driver to run your webcam. This makes no why you would being a microsoft driver in the first place. It does not work well at all.

If you do not have a real answer please tell me asap so I can return it to best buy

Top Student
scottnj1966
Message 4 of 14 (7,485 Views)

I am not sure why they are not taking care of there own products. it makes no sense.

Top Student
Sammmeh
Message 5 of 14 (7,483 Views)

To be honest, the DV6 laptop model isn't that great, the touch pad mouse 1/2 are really loud when you click on them. And the keyboard area around F4 dips in when you press the button within the area. I verified this by going to different store and look at the same model.
When i got my DV6 is September, It came with a bad monitor and i had to ship it back for repair. It came back with more problems because they open up a brand new laptop..I.e. the monitor was cracked on the site and the bottom memory cover was bend, etc. The 3rd RMA finally resolved the issue by replacing the whole screen, and other broken parts. However, one thing that will never been fixed is the lose cover. Once a laptop has been opened so many times, the gap on the cover will always stay loose.

I don't see why they would resolve this tiny issue as other people have reported the same webcam issue on multiple post last year. I recommend you to buy a generic webcam $15 eBay or Amazon, these generic webcam works really well and fast. 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 14 (7,480 Views)

The thread here may help.  I have a DV6 here, I had never tried the webcam before but I just checked it and it works fine for me.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
Sammmeh
Message 7 of 14 (7,477 Views)

I have tried that settings before and it seems to work for certain people only. Changing those settings doesn't work, they ask you to turn off light compensation and turning the function off makes the whole webcam dark.

Top Student
scottnj1966
Message 8 of 14 (7,471 Views)

[ Edited ]

The person giving their opinion about the quality does not help with the problem. Adding a webcam to a laptop that has one makes no sense.

Top Student
scottnj1966
Message 9 of 14 (7,465 Views)

I have tried all that already. The camera keeps locking up and its too dark.

The driver being used from 2006, and its Microsoft. This happen with or without the youcam software installed. so it is the camera driver that is the problem. It is using an xp driver. It does not work in 7.

Why does HP not have a driver for there own camera. How do we get in touch with a HP software engineer.

I am not the only one with this issue. Its all over the net.

Can you please get a hold of one of these laptops and see what it is doing.

This issue has been the same right out of the box. Brand new laptop.

I cannot believe HP will want me to reurn this laptop and buy another brand. I am not wanting to do that sinc eI have set this think up the way I like it.

Thank you

Top Student
Sammmeh
Message 10 of 14 (7,464 Views)

It does suck and not make sense to add another webcam to a laptop... My 2008 dv6 and 2011 probook 6360b webcam is better than this new laptop too. They work well straight out of the box without any tweaking. I left a review on the laptop i purchased but it got removed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation