Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Does anyone know whether HP leaves the notebook power on during standby and hibernate? I know that Apple does this and Acer does this. Dell has introduced a new port called powershare to allow it to do this. But I wont buy Apple to change all my software, Dell is junk and I am divided on Acer. That leaves HP.

I want to charge my portable devices like Ipod, cellphones, GPS etc without having to turn on the PC each time just to do it. So it would help to have USB power available to charge the devices. This is my contribution to saving the ozone layer!

Please advise.

thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The simple answer to your question is: 

When your laptop is off and you plug in a portable USB device does it charge?

I believe that you can answer that one yourself.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

You did NOT answer the question "professor". You gave a smart aleck reply. The question asked if the computer was in standby or hibernating would it supply power to the ports. It didn't ask if it was off. And please remember, everyone is not blessed with extreme intelligence. That's why there are forums, so the blessed can share with the less gifted.

HP Recommended

NO, if its off, its off.

if you go to advanced power settings you can turn off the "suspend USB' during sleep and hibernate.

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
HP Recommended

Mine provides power to the usb ports when its sleeping, my usb cooling pad still runs when my laaptop is sleeping.

HP Recommended

Hi,

@jess8tacos wrote:

You did NOT answer the question "professor". You gave a smart aleck reply. The question asked if the computer was in standby or hibernating would it supply power to the ports. It didn't ask if it was off. And please remember, everyone is not blessed with extreme intelligence. That's why there are forums, so the blessed can share with the less gifted.

Actually my intent was to answer the question and my answer had no smart aleck intent at all. Sorry to see that you took it that way. It was a straightforward answer to the question that was posed.  My Hp laptops don't supply power when in standby or hibernate. My Toshiba Satellite, when in standby/hibernate does supply USB power to the ports and charges my daughter's iPod. 

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

My hp pavilion dv7 3112sa does provide power to the usb ports when sleeping.

HP Recommended

Hi,

That is good info to have. It should now be easy for all to understand  why I asked the original author to try it. A reason that the USB ports might not be power during sleep/standby/hibernation could be a Windows XP power management issue( which my HP laptop has as the OS). My Toshiba Satellite has Windows 7 as the OS.

The following is what Nascar4U was referring to in Power Opions -->Advanced settings. Disable the suspend and it should supply power on sleep/standby.

PWR Opt.GIF

Best regards,

erico

HP Recommended

And for Windows 7 to get to the advanced power settings, go to control panel or your power icon,
------------ click more power options

------------ click change plan settings (any of them)
------------ click change advanced power settings!

------------ find the usb one and disable for whatever you want 🙂

HP Recommended

To know if your computer has power on the USB when the laptop/desktop is off, you need to check each port while the computer is off by pluging a USB device into it, and the when it turns on, it is the charging USB Port.  

I hate having a charging USB port. I have 4 USB ports, and it says one charges. The problem with this, if you use a device that doesn't need to be on, and you use all four ports, one of  your devices remains on after shutdown.

My cd player keeps running when the computer is off if it is in that port or my USB HD stays on, unless there is a timer on the device that shuts off after so many minutes. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.