Question

Honor Student
xcaliburpcs
Message 1 of 34 (28,287 Views)

HP compaq Presario C700 LAPTOP NO Power

Hi I have a compaq presario c717nr that works with a charged battery, my ac adapter works as I have an hp pavillion d6000 and it works, also tested the ac adapter from my pavillion on the presario and it does not power up with out the battery, when plugged in to ac adapter with the battery on it says charging but it does not charge or power the laptop on ac power only. need help
Honor Student
srip
Message 2 of 34 (28,206 Views)

Re: HP compaq Presario C700 LAPTOP NO Power

I have exactly the same C717NR and same exact symptoms. It will work with a charged battery. With AC adapter in, the power jack blue led comes on only if the battery is on. And as u said, it doesnt really charge as I see that the battery charge is dwindling. Also, as soon as you remove the battery, the ac power jack led goes off. The laptop cannot be run directly via AC. I checked an exact same c717NR and his works fine on AC even when you remove battery while windows is on.

So my question is whether if its the dc power jack that bad or some thing else is messed up? I can say I even swapped mother board and had the same problem. 

Thanks.

Honor Student
xcaliburpcs
Message 3 of 34 (28,173 Views)

you swapped out the motherboard? and it did not work, then it must be the powerjack, but, what i dont get is that theres power and can't power it on with just the ac on

Honor Student
zzn2323
Message 4 of 34 (27,922 Views)

hi i also have the same problem.I have 2 of the same lap top. so i removed the battery and charged it on the other pc and put it back into the pc that was not charging and it runs fine. I cant not how ever charge the battery in the original laptop. so i have come to the conclusion it must be a bad dc jack. I have found places on line that you can order  from. Just type in Replacement Dc jack i believe the one in our laptops is 1.65 mm but you can take the cord to best buy maybe and find out. i found a few placed that say it is a 2.5 but i am going to take it in and find out for sure and then on utube there are videos that help you see how to remove and the part. or you can pay 100 and send it to one of the placed online for dc jack replacement. i have a friend who can soder.so going to order the part then see if it works for about 10 bucks. will get back to you when it is all said and done. good luck. this seems to be a problem with this model
Honor Student
xcaliburpcs
Message 5 of 34 (27,919 Views)

Hi, on this laptop you dont have to soder anything, the power jack has a cable that goes to the bottom of the computer, it just clicks in there, if you buy the new power jack test it first by opening the memory cover and unpluging the power cable and plug the new one there, oh, and i doubt is the power jack as I tested and theres power to the connections, it must be the charging chip or some chip thats bad. a new motherboard would be a better idea
Honor Student
zzn2323
Message 6 of 34 (27,760 Views)

yep took out the dc which was not sodered and tested it. It was testing fine. so not that at all. I do believe there is something not going from motherboard to the battery where it plugs into the laptop. now trying to find a cheap mother board. I was suprised i even got this dang thing back together. I took the whole thing apart and back together and all it the same. oh well this is obviosely a problem with there pcs. would not buy another one of these again.
Honor Student
obagama
Message 7 of 34 (26,709 Views)

Hi all,

I have the same problem with my C742ea laptop where it would not charge the battery or work on AC power only but works when battery is used in the laptop fully charged.

I know its not the the power jack since i have tested this with a voltage meter and outputting the right voltage.

Tested power on the battery pin and was only getting 1dc which i believe is was tell the board battery is present.

My laptop is out of warranty and cannot send it back to HP therefore I would be grateful if anyone know a fix for this issue or if HP reading any of these forums please do fix these issue or offer complete replacement even for out of warrant laptops.

I am thinking of forwarding a complain to the Consumer Protection people about HP Laptops having all these problems and most coming to light soon after warranty.

Honor Student
obagama
Message 8 of 34 (26,573 Views)

Hi all,

Just to update all of you with this problem. I have found an HP External Battery Charger on ebay for $49.99 and $15pp to UK which I think would help charge the battery or bypass the laptops charging circuit.

ebay item no: 260431895357

I have ordered one of this and when I recieve it I plan ripping the ends and inplant directly onto motherboard. ie the connector to the battery connector.

Please note that I am not promoting this item but I thought you should all know of that you could have another solution other than a new motherboard.

I would update you all on progress and I would appreciate any info as to how to bypass the laptops charging circuit.

Battery For HP Pavilion DV9000 DV9200 +External Charger
Honor Student
justinharlow
Message 9 of 34 (24,228 Views)

Hi. I have a Presario C700 with what appears to be the same problem.  The power supply seems to be fine, but when you hook it to the laptop, just the slightest wiggle of the connector causes the blue light to go out. My initial guess was that the DC power connector was soldered to the main board and the connections were flaky, but this forum suggests that the connector is actually on a connector rather than being soldered in.  I did a web search and found a lot of vendors for the connectors, and they all look like soldered-in types.  Since I have not yet opened up the case, can someone please clarify what this connector really looks like? 

Thanks

Honor Student
Bodsy
Message 10 of 34 (23,860 Views)

[ Edited ]

It looks like this.....

http://www.pchub.com/uph/photos/item/6336193760361812502_DC301002X00.JPG

Service Manual is here....

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01301275.pdf

I had the same no power from my Brother in law's C700, not even a fan or blue light from the DC input.

Took all components off & removed the motherboard. Checked the power going through the DC input cable to the white connector, was reading 18.9 from the red +ve & Black -ve connectors as well as 16.8 when using the yellow cable connecting point.

So the cable was fine. I reconnected all cables & ZIF ribbon connectors etc, tried to power it up & it was all fine again.

This was after he'd taken it to PCWorld (Why do people use them....!)  and been relieved of £40 for them to tell him it needs another £150 to fix.... (hence he took it back and got me to have a look at it!.)

So, all now working with ZERO new parts, but would have been £190 all in if he'd have just taken what PCW told him.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation