Question
HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems
Replies (765)

Top Student
chrispy107
Message 101 of 766 (11,619 Views)

Re: HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems

Here's a question. How tough would it be to remove an nVidia chipset and replace it with a comparable ATI notebook chipset model, or even downgrade to the standard Intel GPUs? I realize we aren't talking about desktops here, but is there any degree of customizability in these notebooks? Or is the entire motherboard and other hardware made specifically to accomodate nVidia chips?

Since I have never heard this mentioned, I assume it's not possible. But I'd thought I'd ask anyway.
Honor Student
santos
Message 102 of 766 (9,396 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not doable unless you have the original electrical engineering schematics of the motherboard, a sottering iron, an undertanding of electrical current, capacitors, resistors, and the work... or an electrical engineering degree with training on this specific montherboard will do, and then you'de have to have an osilascope to test your signal levels.. so in short no can do...

I've got some more research information I've compiled through visiting the forums on this issue... my research follows::::

I've formatted my entry for ease of research and reading:

HP DELETES ENTRIES ON FORUM:
***HP has deleted or is censoring my entry. I will keep posting this.***

FOR STARTERS:
HP has recalled dv9200 for the hing and is offering free repair.

HP DOES NOT COVER MY DV SYSTEM:
On the DV9200  motherboard part# EZ345AV NVIDIA issue and many other DV systems, HP still refuse to admit that this is a defective product. My Video card also died the same way. I'm trying to get a tech support to help me but they still will not admit that this is defect from the manufacture. I'm continuing to call and I will also submit a letter to my attorney general. If more of us do this we can get them to do something but we all need to do this, please write your attorney general about this issue and copy the letter to tech support and to HP Headquarters.

**NOTE PROBLEM NOT RESOLVED WITH REPAIR:
Since the problem is inherent to the Nvidia Chip being sensitive to high temperature, and since the engineering design of the HP DV series causes the system MLB to over heat the problem will persist even if they replace the MLB, I've read many entries where customers had there MLB replaced while under warranty but the new MLB died months later after the system went out of warranty. The ultimate solution will not be a repair but a complete system swap or refund.
***Here's more research below.****

HP FORUMS ON PROBLEM:
1. http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+122794355254...
2. http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1191277&admit=10944...
3. http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1270806
4.. http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1274587&admit=10944...
5. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Hardware&message.id=542#M542

NVIDIA ADMITS PROBLEM:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-10020782-33.html
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121910081640451139.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39506/135/ -scientific research on the problem

HP "LIMITED WARANTY" :
may not cover your system
Also of interest are laptops covered under warranty.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01300427#c01300427_dv92
* This is a very small list and may not cover yours although it should because the problem is being caused by the same hardware.

MEDIA COVERAGE ON THE PROBLEM:
also view video: ZD.net David Berlind Tech shakedown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhTIVtUTD4A
video followup: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=863

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Publish this information in other forums

AND You can contact:

1.If your get to the Case Manager level and that manager refuses to provide you support.
Call HP Executive Support at (800)752-0900
Have your 10 digit case number starting with 75 available., this case# is only given to you if you reach a Case Manager.

Everyone needs to call the main office (800-756-0608 opt 7), and ask to speak to Mark Hurd.
I've gotten so fed up with how HP is cheating so many people.
Write your attorney Generals' office
Better Business Bureau
Your local news station
Tech Magazines
Publish this information in other forums

[Content in violation of Rules of Participation removed by moderator.  Terms of Use and Rules of Participation links can be found at the bottom of this page.]

YOU'VE GOT OPTIONS, come together and make yourself heard.

Message Edited by ShawnaW on 12-04-2008 05:42 PM
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 103 of 766 (9,451 Views)

RonKe and Ireg,
the hard drive was not wiped on mine either time it was sent in.  The first time I did note on the problem description sheet sent with it, that I had already tried a factory restore of the OS, but I had already began using and testing the system again (I didn't write that, I'm just describing the state of the OS when they received it which they did not change)  and made various typical UI changes so it was obvious they had not wiped the drive.  Second time I made no mention of restoring the OS previously, only mentioned it had just came back from the service center and had failed more completely.

Possibly it depends on which service center it's sent to?  Mine went to Lavergne, TN.  I was told to send the drive, but didn't need send the PSU or battery.  This was when it turned on still but had screen corruption.  2nd time when it wouldn't turn on at all they wanted PSU and battery too.  I would expect them to want the drive because that makes it much easier to have an OS available to see if it boots and runs.  I didn't thoroughly check my drive to see if there were any remnants of testing software they might have ran after doing the work, and can't now because I decided to wipe it myself and try XP on it for awhile.

Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 104 of 766 (9,449 Views)

[ Edited ]

chrispy107 wrote:
Here's a question. How tough would it be to remove an nVidia chipset and replace it with a comparable ATI notebook chipset model, or even downgrade to the standard Intel GPUs? I realize we aren't talking about desktops here, but is there any degree of customizability in these notebooks? Or is the entire motherboard and other hardware made specifically to accomodate nVidia chips?
Since I have never heard this mentioned, I assume it's not possible. But I'd thought I'd ask anyway.

Actually, Intel now has integrated GPU like X3100 which is better than nVidia 6150 or 7150 but AFAIK not on compatible chassis boards (I could be wrong).  You can't replace this chipset with a different one on the same mainboard, the pin count and layout are different as is the bios.  Just not possible even with all the skill and discrete parts in the world at your disposal, it would need some kind of big adapter board bridge something-or-other.

The thing that might work is if the bottom shell were partitioned to accept more than one mainboard, or they made the mainboards close enough that more than one would fit in the same bottom shell.  I cannot speak for all owners of these laptops but my dv6000 board looks to have all the same dimensions and mountings as at least one other series of HP board with an intel chipset, part # 434725-001 & 434724-001 but that would require a different heatsink, different CPU, different factory image.  I saw one note that one of these part #s was for a system that had a Celeron M in it so it's even a significant performance downgrade over a dual core Athlon.

So in theory it's possible another mainboard will fit but not at all likely HP would replace one mainboard with an altogether different one and supply CPU, heatsink,  and new factory OS image to match it.  I'd think they'd be far more likely to send a new replacement system than do all that.

If anyone is interesting in pursuing buying a compatible board and would benefit from high resolution pictures of a dv6000 board I have a couple, but they are too big to post here I assume.  What is the maximum resolution and filesize we can post anyway?   I didn't see this info in the help topic and there's no point in posting something too big if the forum code is just going to downsize it plus that takes up a lot of bandwidth.

Message Edited by James_Cummins on 12-01-2008 03:39 PM
Teacher
RonKe
Message 105 of 766 (9,461 Views)

James_Cummins,

I appreciate the time you take to post replies to our questions and comments.  I am sure others do as well, whether they give you Kudos or not!

RonKe

Santos,

Thanks for your reply regarding the CPU/GPU replacement--a NO GO effort.  However, let's please not turn this Consumer/Community forum into another Business Forum type of mega-thread involving the lawsuit.  Your one post was good and needed to inform others but please only update in a smaller, separate post later, if new developments occur.

I understand your frustration and I agree that HP is partially culpable with the NVIDIA GPU issue.  I am experiencing daily and sometimes numerous, GPU display errors : "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" when performing the most basic of computer tasks such as opening the Internet or other non-GPU tasking operations.   If my system fails, I will likely join the lawsuit if HP does not repair my Notebook for free. 

However, for now, let's help each other to the fullest extent possible with trying to explain the process/problems and then deal with obtaining legal remedies as needed.  HP was once an fine company and I want their many employees to have a job, especially in these troubling economic times, and we all lose if HP fails!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sig: Pavilion Model Series# dv9500t (t=Intel)_CTO_Prod# RL653AV_Vista Ultimate (64-bit)_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500_2 GB Ram_BIOS F.09_NVIDIA 8600M GS_200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual HD (100GBx2)_HP 300GB HD USB Kit for xb3000_8/2007
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 106 of 766 (9,373 Views)

santos,

did you see my prior post where the repair center used a board with the new batch of chipsets which are supposedly not so vulnerable to overheat damage? 

I do think you and anyone else who has problems should have them taken care of but for some of us it now may be possible to get the board replaced with one that isn't going to fail again in a few months.  At least I hope not, but can't know for certain until that period of time has passed. 

Honor Student
desh
Message 107 of 766 (9,363 Views)

Update!!!   HP Pavillion DV9207US p/n: RP282ua Nvidia Geforce 7600 Intel CPU/MOBO.
I talked with a HP caseworker 12/1/08 and they are sending a shipping box to checkout and repair my notebook
thats been dead for 8 months. So it does look like HP is going to take care of its customers. 
Top Student
nevada104
Message 108 of 766 (9,309 Views)

I received my box today so I'm hoping that HP is going to take care of all of us. But I'm really concerned with how many people don't push hard enough or get a good case manager and either pays the 400 bucks or doesn't get their system fixed at all.
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 109 of 766 (9,290 Views)

nevada,
See my prior post about differences I observed between the old board and new, and mention again which laptop model you have.

It would be good to track which systems and service centers receive boards with the new and improved solder bump and underfill changes, so we have some idea if people are getting a replacement board with the same issue or a board where that issue is   resolved.

To anyone tired of sending in their laptop, I invite you to void you warranty and open it, pull the heatsink off, and tell us what your chipset markings are.  That will allow tracking what replacements happened when and where...  but I totally understand if you don't want to disassemble your system to do that.  I made that sacrifice because I need to know if it's reliable more than whether it can be replaced again.  I just needed to plan around a laptop that I expected to keep working and so far based upon the new chipset I am optimistic but still cautious.

Ultimately, I would've preferred a trade-in allowance  where I kept the same wifi card, HDD, and optical, and just received an equal performance amd or intel CPU if necessary with a different chipset non-nvidia motherboard even if I had to install windows xxxxxxx from scratch.  I should state that I don't care at all about gaming on my laptop, but a dual core CPU is what was paid for so at least that much I expect.  Frankly, I think HP should have chosen not to do  direct replacements in this case, it should  have been some deal with ATI for boards with the base ATI chipset that runs the CPU.

You don't know me well enough to realize it but this is the first time ever I have suggested a broad replacement of nvidia parts with ATI.  I hate ATI drivers and yet, a working chipset with bad drivers is better than non-working chipset.

I should  pause and restate that since my laptop came back, it has had no problems yet with the  revised supposedly defect-free nVidia 6150 chipset.  I will  cross my fingers, and yet, it worked ok when new too, so only time will tell...
Top Student
nevada104
Message 110 of 766 (9,245 Views)

[ Edited ]

James,

If there's a way to tell which parts I receive without opening the case and voiding the warranty, I'll be sure to figure it out.

My system is DV9000 EZ345AV

I'm shipping it to the CA service center. I think it's Union City but I don't have the paperwork handy. I agree with you about switching to ATI or anything other than nvidia. I'm planning on asking the case manager if it can be done.

Message Edited by nevada104 on 12-02-2008 06:32 AM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation