Question
HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems
Replies (765)

Honor Student
sporteus
Message 31 of 766 (11,903 Views)

Re: HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems

I've got a $3,000+ brick in the making.  Major symptoms started about 2 weeks ago.

Specs:
product_name : HP Pavilion dv9500t CTO Notebook PC
part_number : RL653AV
Vista Ultimate x64 with SP1 and all updates
nVidia 8600M GS
4GB RAM
Dual 110GB Drives

I have not engaged HP support on this issue yet due to my past abysmal experience with them and the fact that they never resolved that issue despite hours of my time engaging them, requesting a case manager, and escalating to the CEO.  Hell, they never even called me back!  (Although I did receive an e-mail saying that they have repeatedly tried to contact me.  Like hell, I've got Caller ID and voicemail.  They did no such thing, I promise you.) 

My model is not on the extended warranty list and my "total care" package expired about 45 days ago.  So, I’m posting this for no other reason than to make me feel better.

In trying to resolve this issue, I've gone so far as to purchase a retail license for Vista Ultimate and completely reload my machine.  I was hoping this was strictly a software issue and since the recovery disks HP provides do not work (original unresolved issue), I wanted to do a full clean reload from a reliable legal copy of Vista.  (Don't get me started on the whole bastardized recovery disks that I paid money for).  It was worth a few hundred bucks to not have to deal with HP tech support.

I'm running on borrowed time as my laptop has been active for over an hour in power saving mode and may fail at any time now.  If I run it in High Performance mode, the video chip overheats, fails, and the machine locks up.  Even in safe mode, the screen artifacts start occurring and I’ve even crashed safe mode.  This is after a clean install of just Vista and the “approved” levels of HP’s drivers.  It's definitely not a software issue.  Having read these threads and I now realize I'm just another victim of unscrupulous corporate America getting away with shady business practices, as you all are.

What really gets my goat is that I've done the leg work for support on both with my previous issue and with this one.  (Yes, I’m a byte head too)  This is a hardware problem, period.  But, for me to prove this to HP tech support over the phone, I'd have to tell them that I've loaded a clean retail copy of Vista.  I'm sure that would invalidate their support if it hadn't already expired.  I don't have a hard failure right yet, but I'm waiting for silicon to start dripping out of the DVD drive any day now.  I’m sure they won’t really help you as long as you can boot your computer with it sitting on a pack of dry ice.  And frankly, I’m not willing to repeat the troubleshooting and symptoms to 26 different people each time I call them.  Really, do they have a ticket system and do they know how to use it??

So, I pissed away $3,000 on a disposable laptop.  Lesson learned.  We live in the age of disposable electronics and that’s the quality standard that we manufacture to.  I bought this thing fully loaded from what was perceived to be a leader in the industry.  Once bitten, twice shy.  I will NEVER buy another product from HP as long as I live.  This has been the most miserable product experience ever for me.  The "Total Care" support that I shelled out extra money for was complete crap.  They couldn't even help me when I told them where the install script was failing on their recovery disks!  Hell, I would have fixed it if I could have edited the code!!!

So, if anyone has any great suggestions other than running out and buying a Dell or a Mac, please let me know.  Short of getting a lawyer, I’m not sure there is anything to be done.  I have considered getting the local consumer watch dogs in play on this, but haven’t done so yet.  What we need is some major media attention.  Maybe we can shame them into doing something about this.

Teacher
RonKe
Message 32 of 766 (11,899 Views)

Hey Sport,

I have the same system as you, except that you got stuck with the cost of the extra 2 GB of Ram!  I also got the HP expansion base and the external 300GB HD. 

I am getting repeated:

1)  "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" after 'flickering', then a black screen, and then back to "normal"

2)  Horizontal rows within Word documents

3)  Streaming videos that "hang" or stutter

4)  Jagged "glass shard-like" edges on my Windows Log In Screen while it is 'slowly' loading

Did you experience any of those issues?

At least 4 other people on the business forum had our dv9500t RL653AV product that completely failed.  Of course, this IS NOT just a coincidence and many people have not reached the fora and just give up after dealing with HP's terribly poor UnTotal MisCare.  If they only knew that thousands of people are having the same problem through no fault of their own, except for trusting HP....a fatal computer error!!

All I know is if/when my wimpy $3200.00 HP "machine" dies, I will forevermore stay away from the names HP and NVIDIA if they do not "make things right!"

Good luck...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sig: Pavilion Model Series# dv9500t (t=Intel)_CTO_Prod# RL653AV_Vista Ultimate (64-bit)_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500_2 GB Ram_BIOS F.09_NVIDIA 8600M GS_200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual HD (100GBx2)_HP 300GB HD USB Kit for xb3000_8/2007
Teacher
Toronto699
Message 33 of 766 (11,837 Views)

after reading these posts im scared my new unopened HDX 18 will have the same problem i read here , do u think it will ?

Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 34 of 766 (11,809 Views)

Toronto699 wrote:

after reading these posts im scared my new unopened HDX 18 will have the same problem i read here , do u think it will ?

Yes, if it is made by HP, and has Nvidia as the graphics card, take it back, and get your money back while you still can.

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Teacher
Toronto699
Message 35 of 766 (11,773 Views)

[ Edited ]
yes my new unopened HDX 18 has a nvidia GeForce 9600m GT graphics card , now im really worried!!
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 11-20-2008 06:09 AM
Intern
lswaidz
Message 36 of 766 (11,761 Views)

ThisForumStinks wrote:

Toronto699 wrote:

Yes, if it is made by HP, and has Nvidia as the graphics card, take it back, and get your money back while you still can.

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Wayne, Are you serious? Newer NVidia chipsets aren't exhibiting any problems. As far as I can tell NVidia switched manufacturing processes and suppliers after they discovered the fault solder bump on the GF6000, 7000 and 8000 chips. The newer 8000 and 9000 series cards won't be affected by any issues. Toronto should be safe with the HDX18 (and I'm jealous, that is a beautiful machine). I guess you never know though, but everything seems to point to the issue being resolved in all later model chips. Lance
Teacher
RonKe
Message 37 of 766 (11,815 Views)

Lance,

I, and others I am sure, appreciate your trust in NVIDIA and HP and what you are trying to accomplish with starting this thread.  However, purchasing a new product from either company is like buying a new car while it is being recalled for major errors/repairs.  Until HP and NVIDIA come clean, I would never recommend purchasing another product from them.

People are hurting, especially in the current economy, and losing a $2-3,000.00+ computer is financially devastating to most of us.

If the companies would admit their mistakes, fix the problem, then their reputations would be restored and likely enhanced since they would be viewed as honest, fair and that they trusted their own products.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sig: Pavilion Model Series# dv9500t (t=Intel)_CTO_Prod# RL653AV_Vista Ultimate (64-bit)_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500_2 GB Ram_BIOS F.09_NVIDIA 8600M GS_200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual HD (100GBx2)_HP 300GB HD USB Kit for xb3000_8/2007
Master's Graduate
Bill_Hicks
Message 38 of 766 (11,774 Views)

I've owned three hp laptops over the last decade and never seen a hinge problem or seen them fall apart the way yours is. Actually one of my laptops is from 2000, well I guess that one was a Compaq, and the hinges are just now starting to get loose.....so I gave it to my daughter :smileyhappy:

And I'm pretty rough on my laptops as I travel with them a lot. Maybe you got a bad one, or maybe you are hard on them too?

Personally, I've never even had to call their support line for my laptops or desktops.....their cameras on the other hand.....

Having a lot of experience with hp products is why I even hang out on these forums, well that and I guess I'm a nerd with time to kill.

Sorry to hear about your PC problems, but your experience is not everyones.

"A riot is the language of the unheard." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 39 of 766 (11,716 Views)

Bill_Hicks wrote:
I've owned three hp laptops over the last decade and never seen a hinge problem or seen them fall apart the way yours is. Actually one of my laptops is from 2000, well I guess that one was a Compaq, and the hinges are just now starting to get loose.....so I gave it to my daughter :smileyhappy:
And I'm pretty rough on my laptops as I travel with them a lot. Maybe you got a bad one, or maybe you are hard on them too?
Personally, I've never even had to call their support line for my laptops or desktops.....their cameras on the other hand.....
Having a lot of experience with hp products is why I even hang out on these forums, well that and I guess I'm a nerd with time to kill.
Sorry to hear about your PC problems, but your experience is not everyones.

No I'm not hard on my laptop. I take care of it.

The hing crack problems is a wide spread issue, but not as wide spread as the Nvidia issue.

Take a look at this and you will see just how *big* of an issue it is:

http://www.notebookhingecrack.com

As for the Nvidia issue, it is a *huge* problem, not just affecting HP, but all OEMs, and not just laptops, but desktops as well.

The laptops show the Nvidia problems faster than the desktops.

Nvidia, and HP have not been honest about this problem. They have tried to make it look like this is a small problem that does not affect verry many people.

There are many people that have this Nvidia problem that HP has refused to fix their computers, denying the fact that this problem is wide spread.

HP has been replacing bad motherboards with new bad motherboards.

I have yet to see anyone get their motherboard replaced with a motherboard that lasted more than 6 months without starting to show problems.

And on the other HP business forums, they have been censoring the posts to cover up the truth. So far I have not seen any censorship happening on this new forum. This new forum is only a couple days old. 

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Honor Student
sporteus
Message 40 of 766 (11,707 Views)

RonKe,

Yup, I've seen some of those problems and I've also had an SD Flash chip that I was using for ReadyBoost get fried.  I'm now of the opinion that this was heat related because I don't know of any other reason for a SD chip to go "bad".

I have found in the past 24 hours that running the laptop in power saving mode seems to keep the heat situation down to a level that won't cause a failure.  But, if I ramp up to full performance mode and run anything at all intensive, I'll lock up and the screen will go blank in a matter of minutes.  The visualizatioins in iTunes was enough to push it over the edge yesterday.

Shopping for a new computer is not something I can afford right now, but I don't know if I have a choice.  This one is going to permanently fry here very soon and I cannot be without a computer.  Honestly, even if HP would repair this one, I'm not sure I'm interested.  I've had such a bad experience I'm thinking that I need to chalk this up to a very expensive mistake and learn from it.

I thought I saw a thread about a class action lawsuit being filed.  Anyone know anything about that?  I wouldn't mind throwing my name into that hat on that one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation