Question
HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems
Replies (765)

Teacher
RonKe
Message 41 of 766 (12,129 Views)

Re: HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems

Sporteus,

I appreciate your reply.  Here is a good blog post by a former HP customer and business forum regular who also provides some links to the widespread NVIDIA problem.

http://southernbreezes.blogspot.com/

Go to the HP Business Forums for a mega-thread on the NVIDIA/HP issue with links to the lawsuit(s).  Many posts have been deleted by HP Moderators:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+122720857710...

Please keep me and others here posted if/when your comp bites the dust and what company you go with and your new comp config.  I will most likely be in the market for another machine since our dv9500t's have similar failures.

Thanks and Good Luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sig: Pavilion Model Series# dv9500t (t=Intel)_CTO_Prod# RL653AV_Vista Ultimate (64-bit)_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500_2 GB Ram_BIOS F.09_NVIDIA 8600M GS_200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual HD (100GBx2)_HP 300GB HD USB Kit for xb3000_8/2007
Top Student
nevada104
Message 42 of 766 (12,074 Views)

Add me to the list of victims.

I have a DV9000 with the Geforce Go 7600 and it will only run in VGA mode. I didn't even know about the problem until recently...after I reinstalled Vista several times and went nuts trying to figure it out.

I just got off the phone with HP and no luck. He acted like he hadn't heard that thousands of people were having problems...I think everyone at HP has heard.

Student
maxpowers83
Message 43 of 766 (12,011 Views)

mate you are lucky! at least it still turns on... I have a Dv9341eu. my problem started suddenly in fact. reading most of the threads it seems everyones problem has has been a gradual one. with my it just suddenly didn't work. i turned it on and i got those fateful **one long two short beeps** not happy considering i spent £650 on it... and to add insult to injury i happen to work on boats so i was stuck at sea when it happened. here is the best bit though it was 2 days after the warranty expired!

so i can't seem to call anyone because noone of the support numbers work for the uk and emailing didn't help either. the us techies were very efficient in replying but since they forwarded to my "regional" representive i haven't heard squat! its been over a week now so i'm at a loss at what to do! any advice boys and girls? any would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

p.s. everyone is sure its a overheating problem don't they? i mean i could cook my eggs on the table top after using it for an hour!

Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 44 of 766 (11,998 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for changing my screen name to Wayne_Sallee.

I hope that the forum was also hacked to allow other people the freedom to creat proper screen names when they sign up.

Thanks!

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Message Edited by me on 11-21-2008 10:02 AM
Message Edited by me again on 11-21-2008 10:05 AM
Message Edited by, yep me again on 11-21-2008 10:06 AM
Message Edited by Wayne_Sallee on 11-21-2008 10:08 AM
Honor Student
pattyfinns
Message 45 of 766 (11,986 Views)

[ Edited ]

_

Honor Student
pattyfinns
Message 46 of 766 (11,979 Views)

[ Edited ]

_

Tutor
glenmike
Message 47 of 766 (12,011 Views)

If you hook-up an external monitor and can get into Windows try disabling the video driver. I actually removed it (the Nvidia driver). Restart the computer in VGA (640 X 480) with like 8 colors. You can then access your files. The screen looks really bad, but it works on mine. You may have to enter safe mode to disable or remove the video driver. It will keep trying to get you to reinstall the driver, don't even think of it or the computer will freeze again.

Yeah, mine, a DV9260us with NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600, is supposed to be capable of High Definition video. It cost me $2,400.00 with tax. top of the line, HD TV tuner included and a 17" screen. It went out 4 months past warranty, and I'm not on the free repair list. Now all I can see on an external monitor is crap, but at least I have been able to access my files.

Good Luck.

Honor Student
dlee300z
Message 48 of 766 (11,941 Views)

HP Pavillion DV9207US p/n: RP282ua Nvidia Geforce 7600 Intel CPU/MOBO This is my experience. Bought the laptop from COMPUSA in 05/06. It's always been really hot since I got it. Had the screen replaced due to a cracked left hinge under warranty 8 months later. About 2 months ago, the built-in webcam stopped working. Had HP troubleshoot it with no solution. Then another problem started happening. The screen started to look like the Matrix literally. Horizontal lines and the whole laptop would freeze up. Now another problem. The built-in wireless switch is no longer functioning. No LED and no more wireless connectivity. So basically right now I have a $1400 piece of crap. I have been chatting with HP technical and even got assigned a CASE WORKER who basically said I have to send it in for repair for a fee of $450. This was the funny thing. The case worker that the service enhancement is for the laptops with AMD cpu's and AMD motherboards only. What can I do?
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 49 of 766 (11,914 Views)

pattyfinns,
This reply is to both of your posts in the order of what was written.

dv2500 seems to have Intel 965 chipset, you are not experiencing the same fault(s) others claim to have because those are based on the nVidia chipset overheating and that overheating causing immediate dysfunction or physical damage within the chip.  While we can make generalized suggestions, the rest of this topic pertaining to the nVidia chipset based laptops does not apply to yours.

1.  You wrote it hangs at startup but not exactly when.  If by replacing the hard drive you imaged the old drive to the new one, that is evidence of the old drive failing.  If you instead reinstalled windows clean or used the restore CDs, it could easily mean there was nothing wrong with the old drive, only the windows installation and/or it's installed drivers.  You should test the old drive as it may still be fine.

2.  Freezing and garbled screen at what point during boot?  When is important.  Have you checked to see if the fan works still?  Next you wrote the graphics card is "ge vidia something or other", are you certain your laptop model is dv2500?  Perhaps I've overlooked some dv2500 models that do have nVidia video.  Having to hold the laptop upside down... how did you figure that out?  It would tend to indicate a stress fracture on the motherboard or a mechanical contact problem, even if an nVidia chipset board this suggests you have a different problem than others do even if the symptom is manifested in what seems to be video-related issues.  You wrote that you have no problems "since disabling the graphics card".  you can't disable the graphics card, what exactly did you do, uninstall the driver?  The graphics card is the only way to see anything on-screen, the system won't run at all without it so it cannot be disabled per your description of what is happening.

Is what a workable solution?  It's hard to understand exactly what you mean by what you wrote but it appears that you may have a video driver problem in windows and so an emergency solution would be to use the laptop without the driver, and you can set the resolution higher in display properties still instead of the default lower resolution, but otherwise the solution is to find the right video driver and reinstall it, or copy off valuable data you have on the hard drive and do a factory restore, then copy the data back.

You don't seem to be a qualified laptop technician, it would be good not to disassemble the laptop trying to "rip the graphics card out".  Being a fragile inanimate object, your hostility should be removed beforehand.  The graphics is built in, permanent unlike a desktop system with a slotted card so it cannot be taken out and replaced, and just taken out without replaced would mean no laptop would work, it's a crucial part like the steering wheel on a car.

Remembering which screws go where is easier if you take some masking tape and a marker and write the screw length on little pieces of tape and put that tape next to each screw hole.  That info may also be in the service manual  for your model.

Why are you overnighting 4GB of memory?  If memory is the problem then a memory test can check that, otherwise buying more memory for a failing laptop which may not even be failing, may just have a driver problem, seems unproductive.  Next you wrote the laptop seems running ok again, leading back to a suspicion you only had a driver problem.  Something important to remember is that even if "some" HP/Compaq laptops have a specific problem, like any other make/model of laptop, or desktop, there will be a number of people who have different, unrelated problems.

So long as the laptop continues working as-is, it's your call whether to spend time and money looking for a replacement right now.  Be sure to copy off any valuable data so if it does fail again you have a quick way to transport and access the data.  You should be able to reinstall DirectX, the chipset driver, and the video driver (try to find a different one than the one which seemed problematic previously) then if the system again fails to finish booting you can boot windows to safe mode and use the system like that if it allows enough functionality, or in safe mode remove the video driver as you seem to have done previously when you wrote that you disabled the video.  If you have any computer geek friends you might enlist their help, and you might ask them if they have a loaner computer you can borrow till you get the laptop issues sorted out.

If I have misunderstood your situation and you do have an nVidia chipset that is progressively failing, it could get worse at any moment so it would be good to have a backup plan, keep an eye out for which laptop you might buy at the store or ask someone if they have a loaner PC.  Many people own lots of old computer parts but it might take a day for them to throw the parts together to build or finish a system for you.  However, with the laptop running ok without the driver installed, it tends to suggest some other problem than what others here are facing and your problem might best be elaborated upon in a different new topic or even a windows forum until you have determined whether the present windows and driver installation is the problem.
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 50 of 766 (11,885 Views)

glenmike wrote:

If you hook-up an external monitor and can get into Windows try disabling the video driver. I actually removed it (the Nvidia driver). Restart the computer in VGA (640 X 480) with like 8 colors. You can then access your files. The screen looks really bad, but it works on mine.

Windows running without the video driver will still allow resolutions higher than 640x480 and more than 8 colors.  That was a limitation only on (cant remember which OS for certain but not WinXP or Vista) Win2k or Win9x and older.  Without the video driver the resolution and color depth can be increased in Display Properties, it just won't go as high as it did previously, and may be limited to 4:3 ratios instead of widescreen 16:10 ratios.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation