HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems
Replies (765)

Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 61 of 766 (12,838 Views)

Re: HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems

[ Edited ]

pattyfinns wrote:
Thanks for the reply, here is the specs from the order sheet: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) - Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) - 14.1" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800) - 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) - 64MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS - HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone - Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM) - 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive - SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support - No TV Tuner w/remote control - High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - Microsoft(R) Works 8.0 Here is exactly what would happen. Computer would be on for some time then just turn black and be unresponsive. As soon as I tried to reboot six separate screens came up displaying the hp logo, it would try and load windows and there would be vertical lines of blue dots on each of the little screens. Then it would freeze again. I'd wait for around an hour and could start it again. Then it would repeat. I disabled the driver for nvidia and haven't had it happen again. I checked the windows performance stats and I went from having a 3d processing score of 3.5 to 1 so I'm pretty sure the chip is disabled. Been using it all day and no crashes. I got the 4 gigs of ram b/c I didn't have time to test one thing out at a time. Paper is due in 4 days, if this didn't work I was on the way to best buy and the ram would go on ebay. I took apart the computer to see if there was internal damage and found none. Fan seems to be running as normal and the computer is pretty hot, but it always has been. Anyway I think everything is OK. Only problem now is that the sound shuts off when Vista does a certain update but I can take care of that next week.

If you can get your laptop to work, don't turn it back off. Try to keep the temperature the same. Try to prevent temperature fluctuations. You might be able to keep it running long enough to get your 90 page paper done.

Turn off Automatic Updates.

Leave the lid open

Turn off screen saver

Turn off system standby and hybernation

Don't flash bios.

By disabling the video card, you have simply reduced it's processing. This is fine. Leave it that way. This will keep it from working as hard.

Your main goal from what I have read, is to get your paper done in the next few days. So don't make any system changes as some people have sugested. You need it to remain stable for the next few days so that you can get your paper done. Then after you get your paper done, you can decide what to do with your dying computer.

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Message Edited by Wayne_Sallee on 11-22-2008 09:10 AM
Message Edited by Wayne_Sallee on 11-22-2008 09:14 AM
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 62 of 766 (12,802 Views)

[ Edited ]

pattyfinns wrote:
Rough night there pal? You know you don't have to read his post, right? Anyway I wish everyone that had these overheating issues would post as a warning to everyone else not to buy these pieces of garbage. Then maybe HP's execs would stop giving advertising money to Jay Z and start putting together something that works for slightly more than a year.

Nobody wrote that people with the issue shouldn't mention it, but people come to this forum topic already having a problem, not as shoppers wondering if they should buy an HP.  If you are unhappy with the situation that is understandable but the problems speak for themselves, someone here with the same problem doesn't need any kind of convincing that it's a problem so all the random noise injected into the topic just becomes a distraction, clutters up the topic. 

You wrote that I don't have to read a post, but in fact everyone came here to read about that topic and can't just randomly skip reading replies.  How would you know a reply is a waste of time until you read it?!

It would be misguided to think posts here change HP's advertising strategy or that they would've been willing to alienate customers by chosing to spec laptops they felt wouldn't have a reasonable lifespan.  If someone buys a laptop that fails in that period, do they even need to hear from us to have it change their buying preference?  I certainly wouldn't buy the same thing again even if I'd never found this forum, and yet it wouldn't be a case of buying the same thing again because now there are new models which are different, bios updates, changes in nVidia's solder composition, etc.

If your goal is to sway HP policy or deter people from buying HP products now, this just isn't the place for that.  You  won't realize that goal here  beyond what the problems already warranted, and efforts towards that end are counterproductive to fellow laptop owners trying to resolve their problem, not to HP.
Message Edited by James_Cummins on 11-22-2008 01:56 PM
Honor Student
Laint
Message 63 of 766 (12,765 Views)

I don't know if my problems are part of the problems people are having in this thread, but I'll post here anyway.

I have an HP Pavilion dv6910us laptop (with NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/n Force 630m) that I bought in late August.  I've been having problems with it since a couple days after the return period ended at the store I bought it from. Almost every time I watch a video, the display suddenly warps, freezes, and fine white lines appear all over the screen. When this happens, I can usually shut the laptop's lid and make it go on standby. However, things have become worse over the past few weeks.

Nowadays, the screen suddenly turns white and thick diagonal lines appear all over the screen. I have to press and hold the power button for the computer to shut off. (The computer won't respond at all if I don't do this.)  It is beginning to happen when I'm not even watching videos as well. I've also had one of the driver errors resulting in a blue screen mentioned in the first post. 

I don't know if these are the beginning signs of the problems others are having, but I am curious to see if I can get any answers before I call HP.

Thanks.

Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 64 of 766 (12,759 Views)

Laint,
yes your symptoms seem typical of those associated with an overheating, and/or already permanently damaged video chipset.

These kinds of grapical anomolies are almost always hardware failure, so the vast majority of the time on a laptop all you can do is seek hardware replacement.  If it's stable enough to flash a newer bios and you hadn't already, that is one possible alternative but timing is everything, if it's only now 3 months old you have some time left on the warranty to see what happens unlike some other people here, but in that case you should be sure it's working before the warranty runs out.

If you have not backed up any valuable files, now would be a good time to do that, and you might try running a hardware monitor program like http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php to take note of what the chipset temperature is as this data is useful for comparison purposes, it seems that part of the problem is that the heatsink and fan speed is tied to CPU temp feedback when the chipset plus it's heatsinking and thermal interface is the part more demanding of changes in fan speed based on temperature changes.
Honor Student
Laint
Message 65 of 766 (12,756 Views)

Thank you for your quick reply, James_Cummins. I took a screencap of the temperatures the hardware monitor program gave me. I'm not sure if these are normal temperatures or not.

I actually just flashed a newer BIOS about an hour ago. I don't know if this has helped or not. I'm not sure if I want to play a video to see if it did, but I'm very curious. I will definitely take your advice and back up my important files and try to get the hardware fixed. Thank you once again. : )

Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 66 of 766 (12,867 Views)

Your temps seem roughly equivalent to those I saw after flashing a newer bios.

I mean temps I saw with only moderate, actually barely any use just booting up and idling plus a few moments surfing the web and accessing a fileserver for other services.

What I did that killed mine the rest of the way (after seeing similar symptoms), and I'm not advocating killing your laptop, just indicating what I found that broke mine the rest of the way after it was already showing symptoms of dying, after it seemed to already have permanent damage, was to run ATITool,

http://download.softpedia.ro/dl/cb5b3d47194e7b86faa325e1b951a34b/492917bf/100008466/software/TWEACK/...

I ran it, not changing any settings, I didn't try to overclock anything as some people use the tool for, just running the 3D test and watching the temperatures, it overheated and the next time I tried to power the laptop on it wouldn't.  I've ran this kind of test on every laptop and desktop I've troubleshot recenty and most pass it fine, actually all of them do,  only this laptop died from trying.

My take on this is that whatever CPU or video, etc, that is in the system, has to be able to run at full load without self-destructing.  If I really wanted a more strenuous test that would be possible but a baseline of temperature vs. load was the goal. 

In other words, to know if your system is intact and stable over the range of temps it should be, you could end up killing it.  I did... with a test that any other systems I have (quite a few) pass easily.... but you have a different laptop model.  What the temp rises to under a basic 3D test like ATItool is telling you how bad the (possible) overheating situation might be.

Assuming your 66C chipset temp was at idle, it is likey that under full load it will overheat.  I don't know your uses, nor your highest ambient temperature, so the only advice I have is run ATItool with default settings and compare the max temp plus any rise in ambient temp you might see in use of the laptop.  If it ever gets above 70C, you may find it has consequences.

Teacher
RonKe
Message 67 of 766 (12,701 Views)

James C.

Posts such as your last 2, help determine if video problems are NVIDIA hardware related or video software issues.  This illustrates the type of discussion needed within this forum.  Once users are aware that they might have NVIDIA problems, they have some of the tools necessary to sort out their course of action.

Kudos

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sig: Pavilion Model Series# dv9500t (t=Intel)_CTO_Prod# RL653AV_Vista Ultimate (64-bit)_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500_2 GB Ram_BIOS F.09_NVIDIA 8600M GS_200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual HD (100GBx2)_HP 300GB HD USB Kit for xb3000_8/2007
Student
Nyzo
Message 68 of 766 (12,664 Views)

My notebook luckly still work but it randomly turn off or turn off when i start play a game for 2 minutes or less,when i try to watch flash on websites like youtube and recently when installing a software, starting an application, like its impossible to do defragmentation or norton scan and so, i did try troubleshooting and contacting HP customer care and support help. I tried every possible software solution i could think of and find including updating nVidia graphic card driver and reinstalling a fresh OS ofcourse with no use.

My Notebook is Pavilion dv8000 series (dv8394ea)
s/n: CND6311T7z
p/n: RE346EA#ABV
Intel(R) CPU T2600 @2.16GHz Duo core

2.00 GB of RAM

GeForce Go 7600 GPU 256 mb

Finally HP telling me:

I regret to inform you that Hp did not find such issues related to GeForce GO 7600 Graphics adapter for HP Pavilion dv8394ea Notebook models. Hence, I cannot set up a free main in repair service for you.

NO KIDDING!!!!

Teacher
RonKe
Message 69 of 766 (12,651 Views)

@ Laint:

My max temp for a GeF 8600M GS = 118 degrees v. your 7150M @ 150 deg F  (32 F diff)

My machine has been running for 8 hours with average GPU useage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sig: Pavilion Model Series# dv9500t (t=Intel)_CTO_Prod# RL653AV_Vista Ultimate (64-bit)_SP1_Intel 2 Duo CPU T7500_2 GB Ram_BIOS F.09_NVIDIA 8600M GS_200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual HD (100GBx2)_HP 300GB HD USB Kit for xb3000_8/2007
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 70 of 766 (12,641 Views)

About testing the video load with ATITool, if you click the "Show 3D View" button for that test, then you must leave that window in focus or the test will pause as evidenced by the cube not spinning.  If you click the scan for artifacts test button, the window doesn't need to remain in focus.  Try them both, consider whichever is the higher temp after it's ran for 10 minutes, or abort the test if it reaches 80C because it's not a good idea to leave it running that hot.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation