Question
HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems
Replies (765)

Honor Student
dlee300z
Message 71 of 766 (11,543 Views)

Re: HP dv2000/6000/8000/9000/tx1000 Video Problems

Do you all think that the reason why the built-in webcam is no longer working is because of the bad video card also?

I'm thinking of sending it in for the Extended Service Enhancement for the cracked hinge.

Might be a shot in the dark but maybe they might determine that the motherboard will need to be replaced once they turn it on for diagnostics and it fails.
Intern
lswaidz
Message 72 of 766 (11,544 Views)

Wayne, I'm not sure if you saw the notice, but HP has issued a recall on "selected" units with the cracked left hinge. You might want to give tech support a call as it seems your laptop has "experienced" this problem. Lance
Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 73 of 766 (11,521 Views)

dlee300z wrote:
Do you all think that the reason why the built-in webcam is no longer working is because of the bad video card also?

I'm thinking of sending it in for the Extended Service Enhancement for the cracked hinge.

Might be a shot in the dark but maybe they might determine that the motherboard will need to be replaced once they turn it on for diagnostics and it fails.

The webcam is probably USB interfaced, through the southbridge. Without concurrent failure of other southbridge functions, and since the northbridge is the part subject to damage, it seems unlikely the webcam failure is related.  More likely there is a windows driver problem, the cable to it is not making a connection at either end, or it has cracked where it flexes at the hinge when the lid is opened and closed. 

On the problem report sheet you fill out to include with the laptop you might as well mention the webcam with the hope they can do something about it.  If it is a billable repair then you should not be billed for it unless you authorize the repair after being informed of the cost, but at least at that point you should be advised what replacement part is needed to decide whether they do it, you do it, or it's not worth repairing the 'cam.

If there are no other signs of a functional problem I doubt they will replace the  mainboard, though they might flash the bios to a newer version if that hadn't been done already.
Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 74 of 766 (11,464 Views)

[ Edited ]

dlee300z wrote:

It very well could be because of the Nvidia problems.

I have a bad motherboard that has caused the following problems.

Self activating of the - and + buttons of the quick luanch buttons, causing the volume to go up and down.

Self activating of the CD drive, and self ejecting.

Mouse touch pad scroll function dissapearing, and sometimes the mouse touch pad fails completely.

Random USB Function Failure

Some wireless problems

And on rare accasion keyboard problems.

This all happened because the new motherboard that they replaced my other motherboard with is bad too.  Before, with the previous motherboard it was wireless, and video problems, and also crashed my hard drive.

Send in your laptop and have HP fix it while you still can.

But DON'T send in your hard drive!
Take the hard drive out, and send in the laptop without the hard drive.

Be sure to list *all* problems on the form when you send it in.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Message Edited by Wayne_Sallee on 11-24-2008 08:53 PM
Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 75 of 766 (11,454 Views)

[ Edited ]

lswaidz wrote:
Wayne, I'm not sure if you saw the notice, but HP has issued a recall on "selected" units with the cracked left hinge. You might want to give tech support a call as it seems your laptop has "experienced" this problem. Lance

Yes I am very much aware of the "hing crack" issue. I already sent my computer in some time ago and had the hinges replaced and had a number of other things replaced, including the motherboard.

So now I have a new bad motherboard.

Wayne Sallee
Wayne@WayneSallee.com
Message Edited by Wayne_Sallee on 11-24-2008 09:00 PM
Top Student
nevada104
Message 76 of 766 (11,246 Views)

Someone posted this on Digg
http://digg.com/tech_news/HP_Ignoring_NVidia_GPU_affected_users_around_the_world
Tutor
Nikkiekoala
Message 77 of 766 (11,199 Views)

I have one of the notebooks on the list. I have a hp pavilion 9008nr that I purchased Nov. 2006. I don't have video problems my video card is nvidia geforce go 6150 but I had a problem with the wireless adapter not working or showing up in the Device manager. HP sent a new adapter but it also didn't work so I had to send it in for repairs. This was in Sept. 2007. They replaced the motherboard. This replacement was pre-extended warrany/recall. My laptop ran fine until about June 08. Then I was (and still am) having difficulty getting the laptop to start. I press the power button, the keyboard lights lite up, the cd drive spins...seems normal but no Hp or windows splash screen, no mouse cursor...nothing. The laptop will try to restart itself but can never start up. I will have to press the power button again sometime it works sometimes not. Usually after about 3 or 4 more presses of the power button it boots up. I've gotten to where I don't power down my laptop. I just 'log off' at the end of the day. I've contacted HP via email. Did the troubleshooting procedures they requested (pull power plug, remove battery....also remove and reseat memory). Still have the problem. Hp is now sending out a box to send it in for repair under their enhanced warranty plan. GRRRR. Anyway, since I am not having video issues what are some of the other reasons the laptops are failing? What is causing the start up issue I am having?
Intern
Wayne_Sallee
Message 78 of 766 (11,157 Views)

Nikkiekoala wrote:
I have one of the notebooks on the list. I have a hp pavilion 9008nr that I purchased Nov. 2006. I don't have video problems my video card is nvidia geforce go 6150 but I had a problem with the wireless adapter not working or showing up in the Device manager. HP sent a new adapter but it also didn't work so I had to send it in for repairs. This was in Sept. 2007. They replaced the motherboard. This replacement was pre-extended warrany/recall. My laptop ran fine until about June 08. Then I was (and still am) having difficulty getting the laptop to start. I press the power button, the keyboard lights lite up, the cd drive spins...seems normal but no Hp or windows splash screen, no mouse cursor...nothing. The laptop will try to restart itself but can never start up. I will have to press the power button again sometime it works sometimes not. Usually after about 3 or 4 more presses of the power button it boots up. I've gotten to where I don't power down my laptop. I just 'log off' at the end of the day. I've contacted HP via email. Did the troubleshooting procedures they requested (pull power plug, remove battery....also remove and reseat memory). Still have the problem. Hp is now sending out a box to send it in for repair under their enhanced warranty plan. GRRRR. Anyway, since I am not having video issues what are some of the other reasons the laptops are failing? What is causing the start up issue I am having?

Yes your problem *is caused by Nvidia*.

The wireless not working, and not showing up in the device manager is a very common simptom of the Nvidia problem.

Wayne Sallee

Wayne@WayneSallee.com

Student
icbeast
Message 79 of 766 (11,135 Views)

Has anyone tried getting some trade in value for a not-exactly functioning notebook?  I asked HP Total Care in an email if that was an option and they sent me some links for it but it doesn't look like my model is listed.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/tradein/home_flash.html

HP Pavilion dv9200 CTO

EZ345AV

Honor Student
petval333
Message 80 of 766 (11,080 Views)

This problem is incredibly widespread...I had an HP dv9260us notebook go bad last week (on November 16) with a scrambled screen. It was an Intel core 2 duo with the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 GPU. The notebook was purchased on April 5, 2007 with a standard HP one year warranty. Within a short time, I would get periodic error messages with the video (OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit) that the driver experienced an error but recovered. Then on November 16, 2008, after the notebook had been on for a half-hour, the screen became scrambled and useless. Rebooted and the screen was normal for a while and became scrambled again. I took it to a local computer repair center; they said it was a bad video card and the motherboard would have to be replaced at a cost of $795. Needless to say, at that price, I decided to buy a new notebook, a Dell Studio 17 with an ATI video card that is on order. Until this week I thought I was the only one affected by this problem. Don't understand why HP is only extending the warranty for AMD CPU notebooks with the NVIDIA GPU; they should take care of anyone with these defective NVIDIA GPUs. The defect has forced me to replace the notebook purchased at a cost of $1929 that was only 18 months old! I hope HP wakes up to these problems and does the right thing. At this point I don't expect buying any more HP products in the future.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation