HP dv6700, Turns on, then abrupdtly shuts off (16011 Views)
Student
pardonmebear
Message 1 of 14 (16,011 Views)

HP dv6700, Turns on, then abrupdtly shuts off

As the subject says, the laptop will power on, the "HP" load screen will flash for about two seconds, then shut off. The screen remains black, and the laptop keeps rebooting itself over & over & over.

Earlier today when I tried booting on the PC after I turned it off improperly (by just powering it off, bad idea) I went to turn it back on, and it was stuck at the screen to choose "Start Windows in Safe Mode, Start Windows Normally, etc, etc". It froze, so I tried rebooting it and I'm stuck here with a laptop that is acting up. 

I've tried the following:

-Cleaning the air escape holes, they're free of dust (I've taken them off the back of the laptop and cleaned them)

-A different charger

-Powering it on without the AC Adapter in

-Powering it on without the battery in (only on the charger/adapter in)

I've read around and tried to find an answer, I read about resetting the RAM, but I'm not to sure what that is?

My brother says that everything just from the sound of it sounds o.k. (internally, since everything is running & powering on)

Does anyone have any explanation to why this is happening and a solution?

Honor Student
amnisiades555
Message 2 of 14 (15,797 Views)

Re: HP dv6700, Turns on, then abrupdtly shuts off

The very same thing happens to my laptop. I have the HP DV6700 also. If I shut the lid it goes in hibernation, but lately when I try to turn it back on, it turns on for one second and then turns off and repeats over and over and over again. Sometimes it will eventually turn on, other times it doesn't. So now I just leave it on all the time (its my only computer, so I need it to work!)

I've had my laptop for 2 years without any problems. but last summer I noticed that the battery gets over heated really fast and always shuts off. So I don't know if this is what is causing the laptop to have this new issue, but hopefully it can be fixed cuz i don't have the money to buy a new one... :smileysad:

Any suggestions??

Teacher
JMyrc
Message 3 of 14 (15,784 Views)

It sounds like your computer is failing the POST check each time it is booting up, and as such is trying to reboot again.  When y ou turn it back on, is the Caps Lock or Num Lock LED flashing?  If so, can you describe the pattern it's flashing in?

Though I am an HP employee, I am not here as a representative for them. I am here of my own accord to help those requesting it.

Please demonstrate any appreciation for help with a kudos!
Honor Student
amnisiades555
Message 4 of 14 (15,780 Views)

If i remember correctly, all the lights go on and off at the same time. I haven't noticed any pattern except the timing between it turning off and then back on, over and over kinda like morse code.

Student
thatoneguy1809
Message 5 of 14 (15,119 Views)

yeah im haveing the same problem, the caps lock light does not come on.

the computer powers on, for mabey half a second then turns off.

i still dont know what to do about this, someone from HP told me it was a power problem?

Honor Student
dalvincosme
Message 6 of 14 (14,837 Views)

I have the exact same problem and like most of the people here tried everything without any results or official solution , i found many many people if several diferent forums talking about this issue without any practical solution.

Can anyone please help us?

Honor Student
dalvincosme
Message 7 of 14 (14,836 Views)

By the way it the same model DV6700

Honor Student
bbstriker
Message 8 of 14 (13,380 Views)

Is HP going to respond to this problem?????????

It's abundantly clear that this power-on and abrupt power-off is a majopr issue for HP laptop owners all over the world!

IS this another example of HP pretending the problem does not exist??

Student
mrogge
Message 9 of 14 (11,673 Views)

Same crap here too.  Press on..  and it goes right off.  I sometimes can get into the bios for a few seconds. I was able to get into windows for a few seconds last week.  Now its off within literally a second or two.  The fan and vents are clean.  My infrared thermometer also doesnt pickup anything terribly hot.  Does anyone have a resolution.

Student
Ramney
Message 10 of 14 (11,390 Views)

Did anyone ever find a solution for this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation