Question

Student
luv4u4m
Message 1 of 26 (38,132 Views)

HP dv6810us NO TPM or TPM has problem, error in BIOS

Hi all,

I have a HP dv6810us notebook. Whenevr I try to boot up I get a NO TPM or TPM PROBLEM error message. If left alone the machine starts to boot after bout five minutes or so however is a little unstable. A symptom was that once windows is loaded, th /dvd drive isn't detected.

To rule this out I removed the DVD drive and rebooted. The NO TPM message still appeared however it would start the windows boot straight away and stopped any time. Just like single beep & power off.

From the little information I can find, it seems to be a BIOS issue. I have ensured that the bios is the latest for this model (f32) however this makes no difference.

When I call HP for support there was a message stating that I'd need to send it  to HP it'll be cost $250 & that it definately fixes the issue however I don't think that is an good option.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have looked at the bios screen to see if I could disable this tpm but no use - it appears quite basic without many options at all so if there's a way of accessing a more advanced bios I'd be very grateful if someone could let me know how to access it.

System having Phoniex BIOS & AMD Dual core TL 60 processor.

Thanks in advance.

Student
jack0fsp8s
Message 2 of 26 (38,081 Views)

Re: HP dv6810us NO TPM or TPM has problem, error in BIOS

I am having the exact same problem.  I never upgraded the bios or any hardware on the laptop, though I do dual boot Vista home premium and business.  Just a warning, after about 2 weeks of no dvd drive at start up, the boot process gets longer and is prone to failure more often.  As I type this from my desktop machine, my dv9810us sits in the middle of the table starting without booting up, running for about 5 seconds and then shutting off only to restart again all by itself.  Some help here would be great.

Student
alexthered2
Message 3 of 26 (38,057 Views)

You are by no means the only person with this issue. I have had an issue with my dv6810us since last summer. HP still has yet to fix the issue or even take responsibility for it. I have even attempted to contact the CEO customer relations, despite the fact they said they would contact me, they have not. Maybe if we all tell HP the problem with this machine they will listen, most likely not though.

Top Student
sdonatas
Message 4 of 26 (37,402 Views)

I have the same problem running ubuntu 10.04. At startup it says no TMP.... , long delay before loading from HDD, no CD-rom. Also I tried to load from booatble cd, and nothing boots up (windows vista recovery cd, ubuntu live cd etc.). Strange but CD-rom works at bios startup, but later is gone..... i dont think this could be bios problem, if it worked before that means should be working and now. I can say it smels fishy. I think it is a motherboard failure in a lot of HP laptops. And if this is true this will be my second motherboard failure in the row from HP laptops. My friend also had this DV6000 computer and its motherboard failed. Well i know one thing, HP is crap. All they do is make nice design and thats it. As long as it works during warranty period - mission accomplished (thats propably HP mission statment)...  HP I need some solutions NOW!!!! OR I will never buy any of your products and will discourage anyone buying HP products.

Student
stv4icp
Message 5 of 26 (37,326 Views)

i had same problem ! i booted off a vista disk and started troubleshooting ! long story short removed 1 memory stick ! problem gone ! it's not the memory stick though i can run machine dv9925nr with either stick of memory but..... with both! no boot and error no tpm or tpm has problem !

Top Student
sdonatas
Message 6 of 26 (37,318 Views)

Well, I have to apologise, my error even if it looked like bios, actually wasn't :smileyhappy: Looks like my dvd drive gave up and this caused delays at bios and boot-up. I think its because it didn't gave up completely, therefore pc was waiting for response from dvd device, but DVD did respond (or something like that). Anyway, before that I installed OS live CD image onto USB stick and everything was working just fine (usb bootup). So I removed my DVD drive, after that bios and OS on hard drive were booting without any problems. Furthermore problems associated with my touch-pad were caused by new Linux Ubuntu 10.04 x64 kernel, because I have tried old kernel and touch-pad was working. So I could blame HP for DVD drive failure (because it is branded under HP name), which was barely used. After all its not motherboard failure and my laptop will live, and new second had dvd drive on ebay is very cheap so its not big deal. Hope this information will be helpful for you guys, take care.

Student
RosewoodRed
Message 7 of 26 (36,379 Views)

Did replacing the DVD drive work in the end? I've got a (friend's) Pavillion dv6550 sat over here which works fine without the optical drive installed but goes awol with it installed. Just trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks,

Ash

Top Student
sdonatas
Message 8 of 26 (36,355 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well, actually I didn't replace my DVD drive so I can't really tell whether it is DVD drive problem or motherboard controller, although I do believe it is simply DVD playing up on its own, because motherboard failures usually show more failure symptoms over time. Anyway after removal of DVD drive my laptop is 100% fine, working like a new born baby. I took out my DVD drive with internal case and also took out its plastic top to cover big hole on the side of my laptop. I can see no point to pay money for new DVD, because it is a passé.

Don

Honor Student
dkathrens77
Message 9 of 26 (36,260 Views)

I did some research. TPM stands for Trusted Platform Module.  WikiPedia has this article for those with an interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

It's a special chip that first of all, uniquely ids your machine to anyone out there on the Internet  with the brains to ask.

It has a secret ID number  (a non-public RSA key) burned into it.

Secondly, it allows HP to decide what software and hardware YOU may install on YOUR machine, among other Big Brother-ish functions.

It was supposedly designed with the idea of making using a personal computer a no-brainer, but as ever, there are (yeah right) "unintended consequences".

I have more studying to do on this subject, but at present it seems there is a problem with some hardware (the TPM chip) on the main board.

More and more, manufactuers seem to be DESIGNING their products to fail shortly after the warranty has expired. In my case only a couple of months after.

"They just don't mak 'em like they used to."

Student
devenpahl
Message 10 of 26 (36,105 Views)

this thread is definitely getting somewhere.

I have also been dealing with this issue of the dvd rom drive not working on my DV9623cl.

the light turns on when bios loads but it will not boot from cd. the drive will appear everything 4 or 5 days but if i try to boot from a cd, it fails to read. (i have also tried other Hp dvd drives and i have the same problem)

i get the "no TPM or TPM has a problem" error in bios also when i press the ESC key.

i took apart my laptop to see if there was broken solder on the dvd connector and i found a board with a connector on both ends to extend the connection from the motherboard out far enough to reach the dvd.

could that be failing? has anyone tried replacing that?

the TPM chip is indeed very shady on HP's behalf.  my computer started this behavior about 6 months after the warranty expired. when i called hp, the woman in india said she could extend my software warranty for $100 and that will fix my dvd problem. LMAO! the extended warranty doesn't cover hardware so she was trying to scam me for sure!

the solution to this problem seems to be BOYCOTT HP!

I'm referring people to Acer and Lenovo! heck, even Dell has better support than this.

i have searched high and low for a solution to the TPM and Cd/dvd rom issue and i keep getting directed to HP's website.

amazing how many people complain right here on Hp's website and get ignored...

STOP BUYING HP PRODUCT UNLESS YOU ENJOY THROWING OUR COMPUTER AWAY AFTER 2YEARS!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation