03-06-2012 07:21 PM
I was working on my laptop today and everything seemed to be working fine. I closed the lid and it went into sleep mode as I took a small hour nap. When I woke up, my computer was turned off and it wouldn't boot up or get any charge from the adapter. I tried connecting the power supply into different wall sockets and even replaced the battery in my laptop with another HP battery I had already, but it still wouldn't turn on. After contacting HP support over phone I was told that it was either an adapter problem or a motherboard failure. I took it into Best Buy Geek Squad and they confirmed that my adapter was indeed giving off a charge but my laptop was unresponsive. They also told me it was a motherboard problem. After researching online it looks like most motherboard failures happen from overheating, or an electrical surge. I have had my laptop continuously connected into a cooling pad and it was plugged into a surge protector when I put it to sleep before it stopped working. This laptop is only 2 years old and I take the time to discharge static shock and blow the dust out of my ventilation. Any ideas on what my problem is and why the motherboard would fail?