HP dv7-3085dx power light flashes, but notebook doesn't work. (602 Views)
Honor Student
emiliokuffer
Message 1 of 4 (602 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP dv7-3085dx power light flashes, but notebook doesn't work.

Hi! I have a HP Pavilion dv7-3085dx. It has a 2nd hdd bay.

Recently, I bought the caddy+cable kit, and a Intel SSD. The thing is, when I plug the sata cable to the notebook motherboard, and the SSD to it, the notebook doesn't power up. When I press the power button, it flashes once (the power light blinks just one time), but the notebook doesn't power up. When I press it again, nothing happens.

I tried removing the power plug, the battery, and plug it all again, but the power light blinks once (when the power button is pressed), and no reaction.

Maybe it's the sata cable: When I remove the new cable, and connect the SSD with the sata cable on the 1st hdd bay (the cable that came with the notebook), it works fine. The notebook powers up. And when I connect the old sata cable, with the SSD, on the second hdd bay, it also works. 

I just want to now, what does the blinking power light means? Why it doesn't work with the new cable?

Thanks in advance! Sorry for my bad english...

Emilio.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 4 (580 Views)

Could you give me a link or part number to the caddy+cable kit?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
emiliokuffer
Message 3 of 4 (576 Views)

Re: HP dv7-3085dx power light flashes, but notebook doesn't work.

[ Edited ]

The cable has a sticker on it, it says

SATA HDD CABLE

35090GY00-600-G

FOXCONN10/12/2012

It fits perfectly on the motherboard connector, but the power light flashes when it's attached (and with a disk plugged in). When there's no disk on the cable (only the cable attached to the motherboard), it powers on just fine.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 4 (553 Views)

It is possible that it is an issue with the kit. I would recommend downloading and installing the most recent BIOS update for your notebook, using the download at the following link: http://goo.gl/rbHkg

If it still doesn't work after that, I would recommend returning the kit for a replacement or trying a different one.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation