Re: HP envy 17 so hot I've got burns on my palm. (624 Views)
Honor Student
SkeletalBat
Message 1 of 9 (1,715 Views)

HP envy 17 so hot I've got burns on my palm.

This is outrageous. i bought my HP Envy a little over a year ago. At first I was quite happy with it but I noticed how it got extremely hot after a few hours of operation. 

I use the laptop for quite GPU intensive programs as I am a game developer. This is also the reason I bought this laptop as it had really good specs.

Lately I've spent quite a lot of time in front of the computer (this is how I make a living). Now I actually get burns on my palms.

Is there any way HP can help me or did they screw me over when I bought this machine?

And before you ask. yes, I have all the latest drivers and firmware. Also did system restore. Nothing helps. The only one to blame is the actual engineers at HP as they haven't made sure this machine can cool itself properly.

Honor Student
SkeletalBat
Message 2 of 9 (1,687 Views)

Re: HP envy 17 so hot I've got burns on my palm.

Any help from HP?

Forgot to mention. I've tried using a laptop cooler, but that did not help.
Student
Neuteboomt
Message 3 of 9 (1,667 Views)

I just finished up taking my Envy 17 apart and cleaning out the dust (I have had it since last January). Running quick virus scan and the tem is at 61 degrees Celsius. The real test will be when I watch Netflix. That is when I see the pickup to the high 80s. If this does not fix the issue then I will try cleaning the heat sink connection to the CPU and GPU and apply new thermal paste

Honor Student
SkeletalBat
Message 4 of 9 (1,662 Views)

Definately the last time I buy any products from HP and I can't say that I will recommend anything from them if anyone were to ask me.

Student
carolcoventry
Message 5 of 9 (1,530 Views)

Hello can someone help me please I am having the same problem my new HP envy is getting so hot after a few hours, and I really dont know what to do.  I was going to buy a cooling stand but as you have said this doesnt work I dont know what else I can do.

Student
tavel007
Message 6 of 9 (1,295 Views)

Re: HP envy 17 -Can't close my left palm due to left hand burns everyday

[ Edited ]

ME TOO!

My left palm slowly cooks each day, I sent it to HP 3 times and it still burns after 15 min on keyboard. The more tasks I perform, the HOTTER it gets. I can't afford a new Laptop, and I am realizing after several months I can't fully close my fingers to my palms in left hand! YIKES!

The HP technicians have every excuse in the book for any type of problems with HP products! Buy another brand like Toshiba with the same or better performance, the HP ENVY 17 is not a good choice.

[LEGAL DISCUSSION REMOVED]

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 7 of 9 (1,259 Views)

HP envy 17 so hot I've got burns on my palm.

I have raised this post to the appropriate team. You should receive a private message within the next day or two.

Private messages can be checked by logging in and selecting the envelope icon at the top-right corner of the site.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
SkeletalBat
Message 8 of 9 (1,249 Views)

The heat issue is so bad I've actually stopped using my laptop. Tried taking it apart to clean the fans. It did help a bit (lowering the heat a tiny bit) but I've given up. I really need a new laptop but times are hard now and I can't justify spending that much money.
Student
Matt72967
Message 9 of 9 (624 Views)

Im having the same  problem with my brand new HP envy its overheating in no time at all, say 73 mintutes of gameplay got it so hot i could warm up food on it. the computer speaks for itself when its overheating, not good.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation