Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, g'day 

I have a HP Envy m6 Sleekbook and just today I have realized after plugging in the ac adapter that tge screen woul go completly black. I can hear the laptop still running but I can't see anything. If I play music before the screen goes black, it stops. I have tried changing the power plan to see if that would resolve the issue but it does not work. Is there any way I can resolve this problem?

Thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi jessiecornwall,

Thank you for the information. I suggest that you go through the Device Manager and right click on your Graphics cards and update them from there. Here is a document for Device Manager Information for Windows 8 that has steps for for any error codes that you get.

I am also including this document for an Overview of Switchable Graphics or Dual GPUs that explains what they are and how they function.

I hope this information helps, please let me know how it goes.

Thank you and good luck!

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi jessisecornwall, and welcome to the HP Forums!  Smiley Happy

I understand that your HP Envy Sleekbook display screen turns black after plugging in the AD adapter. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Here is a document for Screen Background Changes to Black When Connecting or Removing the AC Power Adapter with steps for resolving this issue.

Thank you and have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello, G'day

Thank you so much for answering. I was going through the document you sent and I don't think the issue is color, if I am reading correctly. Also, the information given is for a Windows 7 operating system, would it also work for Windows 8? I am going to try them though to see if it would help the problem. I discovered also that after plugging in the power supply and the display seems to go or just turn black, it's as if the laptop freezes (I tried hitting the button for the wi fi and the light doesn't go off). I updated the drivers though and that didn't provide a solution. I have also tried to follow the instructions for the Switchable Graphics segment but when I right click on an empty space on the desktop I don't see the Switchable Graphics tab, is it the AMD VISION Engine Control Center? If so, how do I switch the graphics processing unit? I was wondering if that could be the problem.

Thanks so much again. 

HP Recommended

Hi jessiecornwall,

Thank you for the information. I suggest that you go through the Device Manager and right click on your Graphics cards and update them from there. Here is a document for Device Manager Information for Windows 8 that has steps for for any error codes that you get.

I am also including this document for an Overview of Switchable Graphics or Dual GPUs that explains what they are and how they function.

Thank you and good luck!

HP Recommended

Hello, G'day

Thanks for the additional help. I tried to see if there was anything wrong with any software as I followed the document and there was nothing wrong and all the drivers were updated, however I have not run into the problem I was in before. So I guess for now it works.

Thanks so much for the help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.