Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello RoscoNasr.  I understand you're trying to disable function key mode.

This has happened to me a few times.  It normally means that I didn't properly save my settings.  Try the following.

1. Reboot your computer and press F10 to get into the BIOS.
  2. Navigate to the "System Configuration" section.
  3. Change "Action Key Mode" to the desired settings.
  4. Navigate to the "Exit" screen and select "Exit and save changes."
  5. Reboot the computer and verify whether the Function keys work as expected.

Let me know if this the method you tried previously.  I hope you have a wonderful day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Dear All,

I have tried everything, even disabling the Actions Keys mode by going into the BIOS .

But my problem is still there from where it was.

I have to use the function keys by pressing Fn and its terrible for me.

I have purchased this HP Pavillion G6 2231TX model, recently 1 month ago and surprized with the way it works. Technology should be upgraded and made more easy day by day, but HP & Windows both are going wrong way.

I am also unable to understand that why my right side "Alt" button is also not working. Is that's a manufacturing default (in my laptop only) or some technology default (in all laptops)?

Please help me..

HP Recommended

My PC is HP Pavilion  b160sl and I also have the same situation: changed the value in the BIOS but nothing changed.

I am sure to have saved the BIOS settings modifcations since if I entrer the BIOS again I found that everything is set as I have set.

Seems as if that setting "Action key Mode" is simply ignored.

This if even worse than not having a setting!

Please make available a new keyboard driver that WORKS!

HP Recommended
AND the keyboard fonts! They're terrible! You can't see a thing after one year use!!!
HP Recommended

Totally agree. I have followed the previosuly supplied 'fix' of resetting the BIOS Action Keys module to disabled without ANY change occurring. This is rediculous. I thought Windows 8 was going to be an issue. It didn`t occur to me that HP hardware native settings would stop my use of application set and remapped function keys working. BIG HP disappointment.

HP Recommended

Same thing is happening on my new HP g6-2237us notebook.  I changed the BIOS setting for the Action Keys to disabled & saved the changes, but I still have to hold down the fn key to get the F2 key, otherwise it uses the action value of the key which is to lower the screen brightness.  I have tried both enabled & disabled.  Both are the same.  I am running Windows 8.

Is a BIOS update needed?

HP Recommended

chill and read this people:

with technology becoming more based on fun over work the FN keys are not how they used to be. You use fn to use the function values. You notice how on your keyboard the f1 value is a lot smaller than the ? on the key? That's because the ? is the actual value of the key, so if you press that key that's why you're pressing it for that function. If you wanted to use f1 you would hit the fn key and f1. The fn key actually is correct in what it's doing not, because you use the function key and hit the fwhatever key to use the function of that number. 

tl;dr : YOU USE THE FN KEY TO ONLY USE THE FUNCTION VALUES AKA IF YOU WANTED TO USE F11 TO PUT SCREEN INTO FULL SCREEN YOU WOULD USE THE FN KEY AND PRESS f11. THE BIG SYMBOL ON THE KEY IS THE MAIN KEY FUNCTION. THE 1-12 VALUES CAN BE USED BY USING FN KEY.

So if you wanted to boot into bios when starting the computer you would have to hold fn and press the appropriate key like f6 etc.

HP Recommended

This time the following worked for me. It is the same solution described on page Mumbodog provided a link for:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

except for the fist step (for me).

After power on, instead of f10, I had to press esc. 

1. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  2. Press esc (not f10 key) to open the BIOS setup window.
  3. Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configurationoption.
    Figure 2: BIOS setup window
  4. Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.

We want to select Disabled (so that f5 does not 'go back' to previous song but refreshes the screen. Fn+F5 will go back. etc.)

Hope this helps.
HP Recommended

uhm, mine is windows 8 and the "turn on then click f10 2-3 times" or esc key doesn't work. do you know how i can disable my keyboard function fn key? my pc is pavilion touchsmart 15 notebook pc - n232sa.

HP Recommended

I'm really sorry to have to say this however; pressing the FN and the appropriate key does NOT change the function.

I pressed FN + prt sc button because I am trying to disable the Insert Mode.  I've have tried every know combination to sto this to include the FN +prt sc....please advise me, did I miss-read your very LARGE TXT post?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.