HP pavilion dv6 hard drive upgrade (4370 Views)
Student
ex0r
Message 1 of 3 (4,370 Views)

HP pavilion dv6 hard drive upgrade

Okay, so I read the hardware upgrade faq, and it says upgrading your hdd is possible. I have the dv6 model with the dual core amd, and the 500 gig hard drive, with the radon 4270 mobile graphics card (the entertainment dv6), and was wondering, if I get a 1tb 2.5" laptop hdd, is there a way I can clone my system_restore partition from my 500gig hard drive onto my 1tb drive, and than install the 1tb drive and use the system_restore partition to install to the new hard drive, or is that partition setup to specifically install ONLY to that 500gig stock hard drive? 

I guess what I am asking is, if I upgrade my hard drive, can I copy over my systemrestore partition from my stock drive, and still be able to install my windows7 that came in the system_restore, and have all functionality as if I didn't even replace the hard drive?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 3 (4,320 Views)

Re: HP pavilion dv6 hard drive upgrade

Probably the easiest way to do this is to create some recovery DVD's from the partition with the recovery manager, save all your personal information and reload Windows from the DVD's on the new drive. You can also order a set from HP if you have lost the ability to create your own set. Use DVD-R or DVD+R and a good brand name.

My other concern is that 1 TB hard drive may be to thick, I think the largest that will fit in there is 750GB. Even though the 1 TB drive is still 2.5 inches in order to get the 1 TB the manufactures add more platters and it becomes thicker over all.

The newer laptops are designed for this, but not the old ones.

If your machine is a newer model, then it may work, there should be some dimensions of the thickness of the 1 TB drive from where you are purchasing it from. Compare those with your hard drive bay.

To answer your question about cloning the recovery partition on to a new drive, no that will not work. When ever you disturb the recovery partition by moving it around or changing its size, it becomes corrupted.

Student
slamm
Message 3 of 3 (1,917 Views)

Re: HP pavilion dv6 hard drive upgrade

ex0r wrote:

Okay, so I read the hardware upgrade faq, and it says upgrading your hdd is possible. I have the dv6 model with the dual core amd, and the 500 gig hard drive, with the radon 4270 mobile graphics card (the entertainment dv6), and was wondering, if I get a 1tb 2.5" laptop hdd, is there a way I can clone my system_restore partition from my 500gig hard drive onto my 1tb drive, and than install the 1tb drive and use the system_restore partition to install to the new hard drive, or is that partition setup to specifically install ONLY to that 500gig stock hard drive? 

I guess what I am asking is, if I upgrade my hard drive, can I copy over my systemrestore partition from my stock drive, and still be able to install my windows7 that came in the system_restore, and have all functionality as if I didn't even replace the hard drive?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation