Question

Honor Student
Pezhead
Message 1 of 6 (14,351 Views)

HP pavilion dv6 touchpad stopped working (read this if you have dropped your computer)!

Hello, this is not a question it is advice for people having touchpad issues with their dv6 (I've noticed a quite a few posts). My touchpad suddenly completely stopped working one day (didn't respond to anything that I did). 

Most of the forums I've been to (actually, all of them... and they were many) ask you to try reinstalling the driver. However, if you did not recently uprage your OS or make any such major changes this is not likely to be the issue. 

Try going to device manager. If your touchpad is not showing up under the mouse and pointer devices section (it should say Synaptics something or other) then it means that either something is broken OR your touchpad came unseeded. 

For me, it was the second option (I drop my laptop... occasionally). The cable for the touchpad is held in place by a little plastic lever-like clamp. It can easily become loose, so try this out before taking your computer into a repair shop (and loosing it for weeks, not to mention the price if you're not under warranty!)

Three easy steps:

1) take the removable bottom cover off (that little plastic bit in the center where your hard drive is). For my model (6145dx), it just snaps off (with a flathead screw driver or other tool for leverage). You might have to unsrew a few things, but it should be easy. 

2) Take out the hard drive (held in place by 4 screws in most cases). You do not need to disconnect the cables leading to the hard drive! Just pull it out and lay it off to the side. 

3) Toward the very front of your computer (right under where your hard drive was, and where the touchpad is on the top cover) you will see the ribbon cables coming from your keyboard, touchpad, etc. Give them a little wiggle (just pull the plastic tabs that stick up. If one of them moves, then you need to re-clamp it! Push the cable all the way in and push down the lever. 

Super easy! Should solve all your problems!

Honor Student
floppy47
Message 2 of 6 (14,234 Views)

Re: HP pavilion dv6 touchpad stopped working (read this if you have dropped your computer)!

So my touchpad wasn't working and I have an HP dv6-6135dx. It started being messed up shortly after I took my PC apart to upgrade the screen. Sometimes it worked perfectly, sometimes it was completely unresponsive, sometimes the ring around the touchpad was lit, other times it wasn't etc.... It got worse and worse to the point where the touch pad almost never worked.

I followed this guide, and it didn't fix the problem; however, this got me thinking, and I pulled the keyboard out and reseated the touchpad cable where it connects right under there. BAM works perfectly. THANK YOU so much for this post, for some reason I didn't think to reseat the cable... I must have not plugged it back in completely when I took my laptop apart. You can find the service manual for the dv6t here Its in the first post

Tutor
SilentKiller5
Message 3 of 6 (2,386 Views)

Re: HP pavilion dv6 touchpad stopped working (read this if you have dropped your computer)!

hi! I'm experiencing the same issue of floppy47, but I can't find any guide on what to do here.. He says "reseat" the cable, but what does it mean? Is there any guide to help me doing this??

thank you!

Honor Student
floppy47
Message 4 of 6 (2,288 Views)

Hey,

By" reseat" I mean unplug it and then plug it back in. Did you do the screen upgrade? Basically you would need to take apart the computer again, to the point that you can unplug the ribbon cable that connects the touchpad to the motherboard. Then just make sure that the cable is connected well, and put the computer back together. In my case the touchpad cable was only partially connected because I didn't push it in all the way by accident when replacing the screen. By making sure it was all the way pushed in, all my issues disappeared. Just follow the guide in this thread, but you only need to get to the part where you unplug the touchpad/keyboard assembly.
Honor Student
floppy47
Message 5 of 6 (2,287 Views)

Sorry, for some reason I thought this was posted in this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/610177-hp-dv6t-display-replacement.html

I meant you wound need to follow the guide in that link to the point of disconnecting and reconnecting the touchpad, obviously you don't need to disconnect the screen/speakerbar/etc.

I hope you can fix your issue!

Cheers!
Tutor
SilentKiller5
Message 6 of 6 (2,248 Views)

thank you so much for your reply! I'll try to fix it asap! :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation