Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I was wondering because i saw a lot of laptop users replacing or upgrading their laptop's processor and video/graphics card, is it possible for me to upgrade mine? actually i would like to upgrade mine especially since my processor is i5 with 2.5ghz capacity and i really wanted to upgrade it to higher capacity if there is any compatible. thank you in advance for any answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The installed graphics adapter is the best optional discrete graphics module available as an option.  To the best of my knowlege HP has not provided support for anything better than the one you have.

available modules.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

This all depends on the notebook. If you own a model with UMA graphics, then upgrading the graphics modules is not really a viable option.

It always helps in the forum if one identifies the HP product with a complete product name or product number. Making us guess is not the best way to do things. I was unable to peruse the specifications and Service manual since you did not identify your notebook. Calling your notebook a Pavilion G4 is a bit like saying I have a car which is a chevrolet at the auto parts store. 

Help us to help you by posting the following information.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook - see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the model number and\or product number.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

oops i'm so sorry my bad. my laptop serial number is (Personal information removed) and Model is pavilion g4-1342TX my graphics card is ati radeon hd 7xxxm series to be exact 7450m.

HP Recommended

The installed graphics adapter is the best optional discrete graphics module available as an option.  To the best of my knowlege HP has not provided support for anything better than the one you have.

available modules.png

HP Recommended

Oh thank you so much for the informattion :generic: so sad there aren't anything i can upgrade for the graphics, but can i upgrade my processor? i5 -2450M 2.50ghz to something even better?

HP Recommended

The following list of CPUs are compatible with your notebook. It does include some Intel i7 CPUs with quite a bit more power than your currently install CPU.

Intel® Core i7-2640M 2.80-GHz (SC turbo up to 3.50-
GHz) processor (4.0-MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W)

Intel Core i7-2620M 2.70-GHz (SC turbo up to 3.40-
GHz) processor (4.0-MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W)

Intel Core i5-2410M 2.30-GHz (SC turbo up to 2.90-
GHz) processor (3.0-MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W)

Intel Core i5-2430M 2.40-GHz (SC turbo up to 3.00-

i5-2450M 2.50-GHz (SC turbo up to 3.10-GHz)
processor (3.0-MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W)

Intel Core i5-2520M 2.50-GHz (SC turbo up to 3.20-

Intel Core i5-2540M 2.60-GHz (SC turbo up to 3.30-

Intel Core i5-480M 2.66-GHz (SC turbo up to 2.93-GHz)
processor (3.0-MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W)

Intel Core i3-2370M 2.40-GHz processor (3.0-
MB L3 cache, dual core, 35 W)

Intel Core i3-2350M 2.30-GHz processor (3.0-

Intel Core i3-2330M 2.20-GHz processor (3.0-

Intel Core i3-2310M 2.10-GHz processor (3.0-

Intel Core i3-390M 2.66-GHz processor (3.0-

Intel Core i3-380M 2.53-GHz processor (

HP Recommended

Well, I have a similiar question but for a G4-1365LA. I have a Core i3 which I started to feel so slow, I upgraded RAM to 8GB, but still little bit extra power. can I upgrade cpu on this laptop?

thanks

HP Recommended
Hi mate, I have a laptop HP pav g4 series with AMD Proceasor, can I upgrade to core i5 series from my friends laptop which have the same type (g4 series)??
HP Recommended

No....square peg round hole...AMD and Intel processors plug into a completely different socket and will not interchange at all in any way nohow. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.