Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MY COMBUTER CAN NOT STRAT UP ITS SYAY BROBLEM IS HARD DISK
HP Recommended

I know this post is old and I'm not sure if it has been solved. I am a computer technician and this error can be cause by a UEFI setting in the BIOS. I would suggest setting it to legacy to see if it recognizes the hard drive. I have had this same problem from someone downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7 being that Windows 7 doesn't support secure boot and UEFI.

HP Recommended

What you need to do is:

1 Turn off your laptop

2 Disconnect the laptop and turn off the battery

3 Take off the hard drive and the CMOS battery

4 Leave the laptop without both batteries and hard drive for 5 minutes

5 Connect the laptop WITHOUT both batteries and hard drive and turn it on.

6 Wait until the display gives a signal

7 Turn the laptop off and disconnect.

8 connect the hard drive and the CMOS battery

9 Enter to the BIOS or SETUP.

10 Enable legacy settings and boot first from hard drive before any other drive

11 Now you will see the expected answer.

HP Recommended

Had this issue with an HP Zbook17 which we added a SSD to.  Would boot from cold just fine but would constantly give error 3F0 when doing a restart(no hdd reading in diagnostics but only after restart).  Removing all the Intel chipset/rapid storage/3d driveguard etc fixed the issue.

HP Recommended

Hey to solve this problem. Pres F10  go to Bios..System configuration... boot options...Legacy suport> enable and problem is solved 🙂 enjoy

HP Recommended

sskejo, it may not be this simple for every situation.

You may also have to disable secure boot and/or delete the stored keys for it.  This is especially true if you are replacing the hard drive.  

HP Recommended

@AlphaIT wrote:

Had this issue with an HP Zbook17 which we added a SSD to.  Would boot from cold just fine but would constantly give error 3F0 when doing a restart(no hdd reading in diagnostics but only after restart).  Removing all the Intel chipset/rapid storage/3d driveguard etc fixed the issue.

Hi, I found your post the most helpful, because my case is very similar.

Got a brand new HP Probook 430 G1, removed 500GB HD and installed a brand new Kingston SSD. Powered on by the first time and did the Windows 7 first boot Ok, but each time I restart, I get the Hard Disk (3F0) error. When I power off and on, it works fine.

I had tried to uninstall 3d guard before reading your post without success, now I also uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage also without success.

Which components of Intel Chipset did you more exactly uninstalled? Did you uninstalled them in the add/remove programs or in the device manager (uninstalling drivers directly)?

Thank you in advance!

HP Recommended

Solution:

If you have changed the HDD with a SSD and can't access the BIOS, put in back the HDD or another drive to be able to open BIOS again. 

In BIOS, activate UEFI Boot mode. 

Put in back your SSD again.

Have fun.

Your 4prox Team

HP Recommended

What I have found (the exact same problem) is that the interface from the sata drive to the motherboard is at fault. Seems like an engineering defect to me. The HDD is not screwed in and therefore can move ever so slightly eventually disrupting the contacts in the interface. I stuck a sewing needle in the slots below the pins in the interface, bent them out slightly and presto, good as new. Now to check for new parts for it, but so far, this simple fix is getting it by.

HP Recommended

Hi,

We have had the exact same problem and spent hours getting the SSD working.  Tested boot etc, fresh install to SSD etc.

To get the laptop to 'restart' correctly we had to uninstall 'intel rapid storage' and 'intel managment engine'

What a pain.......

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.