Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have a similar problem:
Boot Device Not Found
Please install an OS on your hard disk
Hard Disk (3F0)

On running Start-up test:
Memory test passed
Hard Disk 1 Quick (303)
SMART check
Hard Disk SMART Passed

Hard Disk Test:
Hard Disk 1 Quick (303)
Hard Disk Full (305)

Error Log:
Result: 0305

Model: dv6-1355dx
Serial: {personal info removed}
Product: VM222UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Hello d_myke,

I see that you are having a problem with the hard disk drive on your HP computer. It appears that the hard drive has failed on the computer. The 303 and 305 error messages from the hard drive test would indicate that the drive needs to be replaced.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

why does the hard drive work in another hp as previously posted

HP Recommended

Hello pauld0820,

It could be an issue with the SATA port on the motherboard causing the issue. It would need to be looked at by a repair technician.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

or the cable, that has electrical tape holding it (from factory). I have never seen that before.

HP Recommended
Hi, thanks for responding. Problem is I don't know much about these things. So, what kind of hdd does my laptop use? (Hope you can tell from the model number).

Also, I've been hearing good things about ssd, and I'd like to know if that's an option for me (and whether its more reliable than hdd). Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Finally, is there any way I can recover some of the files on my old hdd?
HP Recommended

You're welcome,

Here is a link to the product specifications for your computer. It looks like it has a 500 GB (5400) hard drive inside of it.

Here is a link to the user guides. In the maintenance and service guide for the notebook on page 54 it lists the part numbers and replacement procedures for the hard drive.

There is a possibility that you can access the information on the hard drive with this computer. Here is a link that explains using Ubuntu to access the hard drive files.

This may be helpful if the files are still on the computer.

Signature

HP Recommended

I changed the BIOS setting for "Legacy support" to "Enabled".

Saved settings, 

Win booted first time

HP Recommended

please answer

HP Recommended

Hello AyandaD,

There are a few responses to this question above.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
Run the startup test.

This will test all the hardware in the system and detect any problems.

It may be that the drive needs to be replaced. Some people were able to get the drive to boot by enabling legacy boot in BIOS.

Let me know how everything goes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.