Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC.

AMD Turion (tm) II P520 Dual Core Processor 2.3 GHz

4 GB (3.74 GB usable)

64 bit Operating System

Upon starting my laptop this morning I got the message that there was a Smart Hard Disk Error and to please run the Hard disk test in System Diagnostics.  Hard Disk 1 (3F1)

F2 System Diagnostics.  When I did I got the following message:

Testing Drive 1

SMART Check:  PASSED

Short DST:  Failed

Failure ID:  0GE083-54E71P-XD003G-60VP03

Product ID:  WQ871UA#ABA

Hard Disk 1

Hard Disk Test:  Failed

What do I need to do to get all of my information off my Hard drive (if I can) and how do I know which hard drive to purchase and how do I install it?

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There are Two options available.

1.  You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - these will reinstall the operating system, all required drivers and nearly all of the original software ( the exception often being trials of MS Office ).  They will also re-create all the original partitions, including the Recovery Partition.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

2.  Another option you could consider is to create your own Windows 7 installation disc.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

You can create a Windows 7 installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook - this is listed as Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  The Image source Digital River.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit.

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your notebook is listed as coming with a 320Gb Hard Drive, but you can just as easily install a 750Gb HDD if you want a bit more space - the drives on the following links are examples that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

750Gb Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 58 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive - this procedure is described in the HP document Here.

Regarding being able to retreive your existing data, here are a couple of options you could try.

1.  One possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive is to follow the process detailed in the link below.  The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive.  When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

2.  Another option would be to remove the HDD, place it in an external caddy - an example is on the link below - connect this to another PC and see if you can access your files.

External HDD Caddy 2.5".

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your speedy reply.  I have another question - if I don't have the recovery CD's - can I download from the internet?  Or do I have to order from HP?  I was hoping to do it quickly.  I need to get the laptop up and running quickly.  

HP Recommended

Hi,

There are Two options available.

1.  You can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - these will reinstall the operating system, all required drivers and nearly all of the original software ( the exception often being trials of MS Office ).  They will also re-create all the original partitions, including the Recovery Partition.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

2.  Another option you could consider is to create your own Windows 7 installation disc.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

You can create a Windows 7 installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook - this is listed as Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ) from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  The Image source Digital River.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit.

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

ok, I ordered the hard drive (upgraded to 750 gb instead of my 320 gb).  I have the original repair disk and also the set of 5 Recovery disks I made when I first bought the HP Pavilion dv7, Windows 7, 64 bit computer.  My computer was able to boot up and I attached the HP Simple Save overnight so that it has (theoretically) backed up everything.  What do I do next?  How do I prepare to replace the hard drive (bigger capacity) and then how do I replace the hard drive and then set up the new hard drive?  Is this something I can do or should I take it to a shop?  I don't want to begin and then find out I should have done xx before I took the old one out.  Thanks for any help you can offer. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Before replacing the HDD, have you made certain that your personal files etc were successfully backed-up to your SimpleSave drive?

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.