Question

Honor Student
marielle_1
Message 1 of 4 (3,493 Views)

Hard Drive Replacement - dv9700 - Still Clueless in California

[ Edited ]

I bought a new dv9700 (dv9925nr) notebook 13 months ago and the hard drive, a WD2500BEVS (HP spare # 453827-001) just recently went bad.  I thought I would save a hundred bucks by buying one on eBay.  The hard drive I bought was delivered in two days; it is the same Western Digital model and has the same HP spare # as the original.  It also has the same operating system installed, but the eBay listing said it came from a DV5 laptop (this listing said it would work in DV5 models “and more” so I thought it would be OK since the HP # was the same).     Now, when I look in my computer’s properties, it shows my notebook as a DV5 series instead of DV-9700 series, and instead of 64-bit system, it now shows that it is a 32-bit system.  Also, the drivers for my wi-fi, sound, video, etc.  are missing or incorrect.

My father has the same exact model notebook as I have so I made a set of recovery DVD's from his machine.    I used his recovery disks to boot my notebook into the recovery manager and tried to do a full system recovery to get back the factory settings for my notebook, but it did not work.   Is there any way I can make the ‘new’ used hard drive work so that my dv9925nr will perform the way it was meant to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (3,488 Views)

Re: Hard Drive Replacement - dv9700 - Still Clueless in California

[ Edited ]

The simplest way is to order a Recover CD set from HP. Each set is specific to one laptop, because the BIOS is tattooed by HP, as you found out with your father's CD set. The hard drive that you bought was somewhat misrepresented, by the phrase "and more". Unfortunately because of the phrashing you won't get your funds returned.

All you needed was a plain, empty hard drive of the appropriate interface type and an HP Recovery CD set from HP, specifically for your precise model name and part number.

The CD set is not that expensive.  Order Restore CD set

Contact HP

regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
marielle_1
Message 3 of 4 (3,447 Views)

Thank you for trying to help.  I think I will just put the hard drive I just bought into my fathers laptop, then use his restore disk.  I hope it works.

Student
fresnoed
Message 4 of 4 (2,248 Views)

can you tell me from who you got the hard drive need to replace mine? also what was the cost also who do i order replace cd

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation