Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My laptop HP Pavilion dv6-6c35dx  fails to load Windows. I ran diagnostics and got a quick (303) error. The HP UEFI diagnostics for hard disk failed the Short DST test with failure code MBX47F 0006QU PXGK01 60QT03. Does this mean I have to replace my hard drive? My laptop's product ID is A6Y53UAR#ABA and I have Win7 -64 installed on it.

Thanks,

Dhinakaran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your notebook is listed as coming with a 640Gb HDD, but considering there's little difference in cost, you may as well replace this with a 750Gb option.

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

750Gb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 64 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling the OS, you can create your own Windows 7 USB flash drive installer as follows.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

Using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook - this is listed as Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ) from the link below - these Images are from a well-respected source ( Digital River ).

Windows-7 sp1-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit

When done, use the Microsoft Tool on the following link to create a bootable usb Windows 7 installer - you'll need a 4Gb flash drive for this.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

When created, tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Insert the Windows 7 flash drive.  Select the Boot Options menu ( usually f9 ).  Use the arrow keys to highlight the flash drive and hit enter.

If your notebook will boot from this, use the flash drive to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

67 REPLIES 67
HP Recommended

Hi,

The error code for the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks David. I am indeed out of warranty. Is there a way get the hard disk working ? If it is not possible to fix it, I intend to replace it onmy own.

Regards,

DK

HP Recommended

Hi,

I think you'll really need to replace the HDD, but see if you can run Chkdsk as follows.

If you don't already have one, create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook. Insert the Rescue CD.  Select Boot Options ( usually f9 ).  Use the arrow keys to highlight the CD/DVD drive and hit enter - if prompted to 'Press any key to continue....', do so. 

Select the 'Repair your Computer' option and when the list appears, select the Command Prompt.  Type in the following command ( including spaces where shown ) and hit enter to start the process.

chkdsk C: /r

If this works, it will take several hours to complete.  When it has, type exit and hit enter.  Remove the Rescue CD and restart the notebook.

If this does work, you should still consider replacing the HDD in the near future as this is really just a temporary fix.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi DP-K,

Can I use a USB flash disk to do the same?

Can you also provide my instructions on how to go about replacing the hard disk?

Thanks,

DK

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your notebook is listed as coming with a 640Gb HDD, but considering there's little difference in cost, you may as well replace this with a 750Gb option.

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

750Gb Notebook Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 64 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regarding reinstalling the OS, you can create your own Windows 7 USB flash drive installer as follows.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

An example of a COA Label can be seen Here.

Using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image ( this must be the same version that originally came with your notebook - this is listed as Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ) from the link below - these Images are from a well-respected source ( Digital River ).

Windows-7 sp1-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit

When done, use the Microsoft Tool on the following link to create a bootable usb Windows 7 installer - you'll need a 4Gb flash drive for this.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

When created, tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Insert the Windows 7 flash drive.  Select the Boot Options menu ( usually f9 ).  Use the arrow keys to highlight the flash drive and hit enter.

If your notebook will boot from this, use the flash drive to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

I ran chkdsk from a system repair disk. It does not show any errors except from printing out at last "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50". Does this my hard disk works fine? This is confusing because my BIOS diagnostics indicate HDD error.

Thanks,

DK 

HP Recommended

I as well recently got this error on mine, MFQD7X-51U6S4-XD0021-60SD03, Short DST failed. My product ID is WA796UA#ABA and my laptop is definitely out of warranty. I saw in previous posts links to replacement hard drives as well as service manuals, would you post these for my laptop as well? Thank you's in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am planning to buy this 2.5" 7200RPM hard drive http://www.amazon.com/Black-250-Mobile-Hard-Drive/dp/B001CO3EKG/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=13850409.... Would this be compatible with my laptop?

Thanks,

Dhinakaran

HP Recommended

Hello dhnkrn

I understand you are purchasing a new hard drive and wish to know if the one you specified fits. Rather than just saying no it will not work I am providing you with a link here to your HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide where the following information on what hard drives are supported in your Notebook.

Hard drives Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) hard drives in 12.7-mm (.50-in), 9.5-mm (.37-in), and 7.0-mm (.28-in) thicknesses

Customer-accessible  Accelerometer / HDD protection support
 Serial ATA
 Supports the following hard drive configurations:
● 1 TB, 5400 rpm (12.7 mm)
● 750 GB, 7200 and 5400 rpm (9.5 mm)
● 640 GB, 5400 rpm (9.5 mm)
● 500 GB, 7200 rpm (9.5 mm)
● 320 GB, 7200 and 5400 rpm (7.0 mm)

Also supports 160-GB solid-state drive

I hope this assists you with the purchase of your new hard drive. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.