Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm hoping this is a good place to post this.  My wife's Pavilion G7-2246nr recently reported a hard drive error.  I ran the built-in diagnostics and downloaded and ran the extended EFI diagnostics which both reported a disk error: Q4JC43-6AE71B-MFPX0K-60QB03.  I was unable to find any additional information regarding this error but Windows still booted with no complaints so I hopefully concluded that the disk had developed a bad block but was otherwise OK.

Since I couldn't get any useful information back from the diagnostics I had tried so far I booted the system to a copy Linux I had available on an external hard disk and ran "badblocks -nvv" (use a non-destructive write test and be very verbose) on the laptop's hard drive.  badblocks reported no errors and running the internal diagnostics now also shows no errors.

Was my guess correct (bad sector) or are we looking at a deeper problem that will eventually resurface?  The laptop is out of warranty and I just want to know whether I would do better cutting my losses and installing a new hard drive now or I can let it go for a while.

Thanks,

Dave

HP Recommended

I have 2 Probook 4540s laptops. A week ago my HDD failed. I purchased replacement HDD and now it has failed as well. Neither drive is detected by the laptop. Anyone have any ideas on something else that could be wrong? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Help, Please!

HP Pavilion 15

Win8

Hard disk short DST failed when I did the F1 start up tests.Failure Id: u4v8hv-6s072e-mfpwxg-60u803

HP Recommended
Hi Im inquiring about the my hpG42. I received the same error message when I ran the hdd test. Everytime I turn on my computer I get "bootmgr missing". I tried to follow the directions for this link (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01973791
However I still could not solve the issue. I bought a new replacement hdd. I just need to know the steps to format the new hdd I guess? Please help. Thanks.
HP Recommended
Hello there so I was on my laptop one day and it was running perfectly fine then it just stop loading windows 8.1 I saw in other forums that you can replace the drive yourself if you are out of warranty. Please help
HP Recommended

I am using hp envy notebook 15 j 011dx and it was working very well until yesterday.Suddenly when I switched it on again it started some automatic repair stuff and it failed.So i tried to recover using "HP recovery disk manager" and it said it would get it back to factory outlet state.After 100% completion ,it restarted and gave an error.

As hp call centre said ,I did component test and it failed in harddrive upsc check failed.I have 1y1y0y warranty active since it was bought just 2 months back in US.

The problem is I am in India and it is bought at US and when I called the service they said that it has warranty but the model is not suported in India.   WHAT SHOULD I DO?

My brother is coming from US and can I ask him to get harddisk and recovery disks from there?

Please help me out of this..........I love my lappy 😐

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have this similar problem with HP Pavillion g6. 

Start up test indicates Hard Disk Short DST: FAILED.

FAILURE ID: 94N3KT-6K275B-MFPX0K-60X103

PRODUCT ID: C5T88EA#BED

Notebook is just a bit over a year old.

HDD should be changed? If so, I intend to do it on my own. Are there any things I need to look out when buying SSD?

Thank you for the answer!

Bubi

HP Recommended

Also - when changing the HDD, how can one preserve the preinstalled Windows (8), bought with the computer?

HP Recommended

BTW, just had the same problem occur again and the same solution worked, again.  Definitely need to replace the HD.

Cheers,

Dave

HP Recommended
I just had the same thing happen to my HP Pavilion dv7.
My hard disk test said smart check passed
Short DST failed failed ID 900FPX-54L76F-9XLU3G-60TA03
Prod ID WQ861UAR#ABA
System tune up failed.

I have tried several times to get it to come on but it just spins, the fan sound, and a blue screen. I don't have Windows discs I can reload because when I bought the laptop it already had Windows loaded and it didn't come with any discs.

I run a business and have all my records on this computer. Will I be able to get my files off the Hard Drive?

What are my options?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.