Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My dv6t Select Edition has been experiencing a loud(er) hard drive noise for about 2 months. This is a rather new laptop. I know it's the hard drive because I can feel it on my left hand when it gets hot after an hour or so of use. It makes a whirring noise that I can hear when the room is silent. What would cause it to do that? It's not making a big impact on my system performance but because it overheats sometimes I think it might break or overload some time and I want to make sure it doesn't fail after my warranty expires and also that I can get it exchanged within warranty. I've created backups already and I'm ready to send it back to get the noise fixed.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Run an extended hard drive test by turning on the computer and press F2 at the HP logo screen. 

Also, you said you feel it on your left hand; is that on the top part (away from you) or the bottom part (toward you) of the computer?  The hard drive on the dv6t is located on the bottom part.  The top part would be where the processor and fan/heatsink assembly would be located.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
HP Recommended
I feel it on the top part. It's hot enough it makes me sweat sometimes.
HP Recommended

There may not be any immediate danger, but since you stated it's only started in the last couple of months you may try to update your bios from your Support & Drivers page and see if it resolves the noise issue.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
HP Recommended
I will do both things. It looks like the HDD check will be 2 hours... What do you expect is causing the noise? And I would like to mention I'm afraid of calling customer service because they don't know anything about the hardware, they just follow a booklet guide for troubleshooting. Last time I was on the phone 2 hours to solve an issue I knew was a hardware fault.
HP Recommended

Hold on, let me check my guide..(just kidding Smiley Very Happy )

There are several reasons for unusual noise in computers.  The most common cause is dust in the fan assembly, often causing a "clacking" noise as the particles collide with the fan blades.  Another cause would be wear & tear or a defect on a moving part (example:  the optical drive connection is loose, causing the drive to wobble as the disk spins).  Another cause, the processor or gpu is overheating, causing the fan to work harder than normal to compensate for the increased heat, resulting in a loud noise from the fan.

Here are some resources:

High Pitched Noise Emanating from the Notebook PC Reducing Heat and Fan Noise by Cleaning Air Vents

If none of these options work, you may need to contact HP to get the fan/heatsink assembly replaced.

HP Recommended

That sounds like a good solution. I have a feeling it's my heat sink then. It may not be working properly... and it started doing this not long after I sent the laptop in for repair for the webcam! I don't have time to send it in now because I'm taking college courses now. I'm hoping it holds up until my break in December. I'll report back after I try the disk check and BIOS update. But I do think the HP Support Assistant has already updated my BIOS for me. (the following is in edit) Additionally, if the system is bumped, say if I bumped the desk it sits on, the fan begins running and the system become hotter. And, if I pick the notebook up and it's not flat, like as if it isn't sitting on a desk, it will do this as well. That has me worried the most.

HP Recommended

Matt, I updated the BIOS and there is still a noise. It might be louder. I decided I would put my ear directly onto the notebook where I feel the sound is coming from. In addition to the whirring sound, there is a little clicking. This is all the information I can give before I run a HDD check. Is there any way I can contact you straight to you through HP support when I try to get this fixed? I can't be without my computer for a week until Winter Break because I'm in college. Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

There's no way to reach me directly to get the repair service set-up, if one is necessary.  Calling to set one up shouldn't be too much of a hassle since you've already done most of the troubleshooting steps already short of a system recovery.

If the hard drive test passes, I would recommend getting a can of compressed air and cleaning out the vents.  Often times, this will resolve fan or overheating issues.  If that doesn't work, I would recommend going into your bios settings (F10 at startup) and check to see if the option for "fan always on" is checked.

HP Recommended

I ran the Hard Drive Diagnostic, battery diagnostic, and memory test. My computer passed them all. I'm guessing it's the heat sink then. When I call for support I suppose I will ask for second level support and describe my activity on the forum or call and ask for Matt Lo. I hope that works.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.