Hard drive partition (710 Views)
Honor Student
soundarrajanv
Message 1 of 3 (710 Views)

Hard drive partition

I have purchased Compaq presario Cq62-105TU laptop. I tried make partition for the C drive and not able to do. My current drives are C drive : 300 GB D drive(Recovery) : 11 GB E drive(HP tools) : remaining space I tried partition using partition magic software. First, i resized the C drive to 80 GB, and then i tried to partition the remaining unallocated space. But, it was giving error as "No free MBR slots. Partition cannot be made." Please help me to make partition for C drive. Whether partition will disturb the recovery disk or make it useless?
Dean
Huffer
Message 2 of 3 (701 Views)

Re: Hard drive partition

If it is Windows 7 there is probably a fourth hidden system partition and you cannot have more than 4 primary partitions. There is an HP program you can download that will move the recovery partition to a flash drive. You can buy a 16 gig memory stick and put the recovery stuff on it, delete the recovery partition and then resize the existing C: and now you can make your fourth partition in the free space. I believe you can also make what is called an extended partition which is kind of like a subpartition under one of the primary partitions but to do that I am afraid you would have to wipe and start over.

Honor Student
soundarrajanv
Message 3 of 3 (662 Views)

Re: Hard drive partition

Thanks for your suggestions. If I take the backup of recovery partition and in worst case, if I am unable to recover windows7 from the backup, then how can I get the installable of my windows7 OS for my product ID in the future.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation