Question

Top Student
gatordad07
Message 1 of 46 (11,156 Views)

Help! DV2000 not starting up.

I purchased a HP DV2000 notebook for my daughter approx. 1.5 years ago.  After about 3-5 months, she started to experience problems associated with the computer not starting up properly.  She would press the start button and the keyboard would light up, however, the screen would remain blank.  Before the warranty ran, I contacted HP technical support and they tried to troubleshoot over the phone, with negative results.  Finally, they accepted it for warranty repairs. They supposedley corrected the problem, however, after approx. 5 months later, the problem started again.  I believe they said they replaced the hard drive.  My daughter said that she used to be able to turn it on after several attempts, however, now it does not turn on at all. I also saw a message about taking out the memory and replacing it. Well, that did not work either.  I also saw a past message that talked about HP extending warranty service for particular models. After checking my model, it was not one listed. My (p/n is RV324uA).

Anyway, I am so frustrated. I can't believe I spent close to $1000.00 and the machine crashed, before 1-year. I am now in the market for another laptop for my daughter, and will definitely not be purchasing another HP product, however, I would still be interested in fixing this one. Can anybody please advise. I'm sure there are other people with the same problem.  Again, the problem with the computer is that when you press the power button, the keyboard lights up, however, the screen remains blank. PLEASE HELP!!!

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 46 (11,086 Views)

Re: Help! DV2000 not starting up.

[ Edited ]

Your P/N RV324UA is on the list under dv22xx/dv23xx:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3308892&docname=c0130...

Btw,your model is a dv2315nr ,part of the dv2000 'series'.

Message Edited by CherylG on 12-13-2008 02:04 PM

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 3 of 46 (11,061 Views)

You are lucky it was listed. Go make a phone call to HP and ask for motherboard replacement.

This problem not occurred only with HP notebook, it also occurred to many other manufacturers, ie. Apple, Dell etc.

But the worst part is HP only acknowledge some of the effected models NOT all models.

So take it easy with HP. :smileyhappy:

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Top Student
spaganya
Message 4 of 46 (10,573 Views)

Actually I have had the same exact problem and had nothing but nightmares. I expect to get a good product when I purchase something that costs upwards of $800+.

Right now my computer is being serviced AGAIN for the same problem (screen not coming on, computer freezing, sometimes turning on when I hold computer at a 45% angle and open the optical drive *I'm NOT kidding* , overheating, high pitched whining sound) AND when I sent it back the time previous, not only did they not fix the original problem, my wireless stopped working. 

I have had such a nightmare dealing with their tech support and customer service people. You cant understand them (its obvious they outsource, the least they could do is get someone who speaks clear english) and they are downright rude. They even refused to connect me to a manager after I requested one after having to call them 8+ times for the hunk of junk they call a laptop.

I seriously doubt that when I get the computer back AGAIN it will work properly. Shame on them for making such substandard products. Honestly I will never buy another HP ever again. 

If anyone gets a straight answer from HP about this situation or a solution from them to replace the notebook, please let me know how you did it. 

Student
Haromax
Message 5 of 46 (10,422 Views)

I have a laptop does not start. I would press the start button and the keyboard would light up, however, the screen would remain blank. I checked the HP website for a solution, and I found a page that recommends to remove and reseat the RAM. I did that, but it still doesn't start.

I contacted Cheryl Gilliam, who wrote back the following e-mail: Hi There is a "Critical" BIOS update posted for your model to avoid this failure.Had you installed the update before? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3190990& Try removing the battery and power cord for a few minutes.Re-attach only the power cord, try to start up.If it succeeds, shut down and re-insert battery. Try to contact HP here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3190990&lang=en Good luck! Cheryl

I downloaded the BIOS update, but the laptop still doesn't start. Again, the problem with the computer is that when you press the power button, the keyboard lights up, however, the screen remains blank. PLEASE HELP!!! P.S. I live in Mexico, I don't know if there is a HP Service center here.

JB1 Tutor
Tutor
JB1
Message 6 of 46 (10,298 Views)

I have the same problem - HP insist it is a chargeable repair.  I spoke to the Complaints Department in the North East of England (UK) today and they won't budge. 

They told me they do not even look at these pages because they deal with the issue on a one to one basis with the customer.

The reply (summarised) is this:

1)You were not on the list of recalled laptops (dv2000).

2)Therefore there is nothing wrong with the design of the computer.

3)You are now out of warranty.

4)It is therefore a chargeable repair.

At the moment - no matter how many messages are posted here for help in the way of a request for a free repair - if you are out of warranty and the extended warranty does not apply to your laptop - then  that's it.

I for one will continue to argue the case that this problem is common to all dv2000 models.  I told them I am willing to offer mine up for tests by an independent expert but I was told that HP would not accept its findings.

I have had to buy a replacement (Dell) computer because this is the cheaper option.  I will however continue trying to get a result on behalf of all the other good and decent people here.

The only help for us will be a free repair.  I fear we are some way off getting that solution.

I am making a copy of this message because quite a few like mine are being edited or deleted.  I could possibly be banned for submitting this.  If so please keep trying.

JB1 Tutor
Tutor
JB1
Message 7 of 46 (10,264 Views)

I am throwing down the gauntlet.  I hope Hp realise by this time that I am not in this for personal gain.   There is a real problem with all their dv2000 laptops.  I am willing to submit my computer to an independent analysis.  This has been refused.  If Hp will abide by the decision of an independent scrutineer I will.  After that they can do what they will with my Hp dv2000 laptop - repair it or not, preferably donate it to a worthy charity.  This is a challenge.  Put up or shut up - in fact they never comment do they?  I would copy this to 'Word' but it is not being allowed.   thanks 
Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 46 (10,247 Views)

Rather than trying to copy and paste original thread to word,use the Printer Friendly Option.At top left beside Reply button is Thread Options button ,click it to get Prnter option.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
JB1 Tutor
Tutor
JB1
Message 9 of 46 (10,234 Views)

Thank you for your assistance.  I will do that.

Now are we going to get some help on the real issue concerning us on these pages.

Student
veernow
Message 10 of 46 (9,767 Views)

I'm having the same problem on the system not booting up all the way till the Home screen. It just suddenly started happening after having the PC for a year.  My product number is also not in the Model #s that HP recognizes as having the abover mentioned defect; and they refused to repair my PC without me paying for it.

It seems that this is a really common problem with the HP pavilion dv2000 series about the system not booting up completely and being stuck on a Black screen. I  I have looked up multiple forums on the internet to discover the sheer frequency of this problem was shocking; upon searching on HPs website for a possible solution for this issue I discovered that model # is not even eligible for and extended warrenty for this problem, even though HP recognizes this problem as being their fault!!! Over that I was being asked for $349 or so for an extension of my warranty to resolve this issue; is just pathetic. I have owned multiple laptops before this and have never had a problem having the PC repaired by the manufacturer once it was determined that it was the manufacturer's fault. Infact Toshiba repaired and replaced my motherboard FREE of cost once they realised that it was a manufacturing defect even though my PC was 1 whole year out of Warranty!! I am seriously dissapointed with the service and the quality of product of HP that I'm dealing with here. I'm convinced not to buy another PC from HP ever if I have to face such meaningless demands for a defect which is recognized as being the manufacturer's fault.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation