Question

Student
Doogsfx
Message 1 of 2 (20,969 Views)

Help! My laptop won't read SD cards anymore.

The last time it was able to read an SD card was about a month ago, then all of a sudden it stopped.  The SD card is good.  My printer can read it, and it's the same SD card I used last time in my laptop.  To start with, I'm using an HP-G61 420 CA, and I'm running windows 7.  I'm not the most savvy user but I was able to find that info.  My laptop has been giving me a lot of issues lately...it over heats like crazy and shuts down when it hits 90 degrees.  A few automatic updates have taken place since I was last able to read an SD card, and I've run a few scans using Advanced SystemCare 6 (free version).  Is there any way to fix this problem?

Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 2 of 2 (20,945 Views)

Re: Help! My laptop won't read SD cards anymore.

Hello Doogsfx,

I understand that your SD card reader is not working.

First you need to make sure that there is not a buildup of dust inside the computer by cleaning the vents with a can of compressed air.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

If the card is not working go to device manger and uninstall the card reader.

Restart the computer.

This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the card reader.

Here is a link that will show you how to get to device manager.

Since it has not been to long since the problem started and your think some updates may have come through before this started happening, you can run a system restore.

This will take the system back to when everything was working correctly without affecting your personal files.

Here is a link on how to do a restore.

Let me know how everything goes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation