Help fixing key on HP Pavilion g6 LM180AV (3482 Views)
Honor Student
malal
Message 1 of 4 (3,482 Views)

Help fixing key on HP Pavilion g6 LM180AV

Today my W key stopped working correctly. After a little inspection, I realized there was some debris keeping it from going down. I tried to get enough space between the key and the bottom of the keyboard to remove the debris, but the key popped off. Now I have three pieces of a key and no idea how to get it back on.

There is the key cap, a square with a W on one side and on the back, four small grooves. The second piece has a hollow circle with two small bars coming from the left and right; the top and bottom have small rectangles, each with a pair of small bars. The third piece is a square with two small bars on each side of the bottom and some blocky protrusions at the opposite side; the middle has two grooves that fit the bars of the circle piece. The key receptacle on the keyboard itself has a small rubber nub in the center that works fine, but is hard to press. It has four small metal hooks.

I'm not sure how to put this thing back together, or if I've permanently broken it. Obviously, I can still type W characters, but it is not convenient and looks ugly. As a writer, this makes it very difficult to type rapidly. 

How do I fix this? Do I need to buy new parts? Where can I do that? Will I need to replace the entire keyboard? Will I need to have a professional do it? Any estimates on cost? I'm looking for any and all information here. I created an imgur album with pictures of the different parts if that helps. http://imgur.com/a/TTMMI#0

Thanks in advance!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (3,479 Views)

Re: Help fixing key on HP Pavilion g6 LM180AV

Hi:

Visit this site, select your G6 model.

Look at the key diagrams on the right, select the type of keys you have, and watch the applicable repair video.

http://www.laptopkey.com/installation_guides.php#modnum

Paul

Honor Student
malal
Message 3 of 4 (3,473 Views)

Paul,

I looked around the site you linked but I don't think they have a match for my keyboard there. They had a kind of close match, which helped me put the mechanism back together (I now have the key itself and little square contraption with a circle in the middle that unfolds into a sort of X shape). However, I'm still not sure how to affix the parts to the keyboard. Everything I've tried has failed, so I must be doing something wrong. I can't even get it to attach to the key!

Should I just order a new key or keyboard and have a pro install it? It's looking pretty hopeless...

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (3,468 Views)

Hi:

I guess if you can't figure it out, just take it to a local repair shop.

Hopefully they will know what to do.

A new keyboard will set you back $91.00.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation