Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion dv6700 with Intel T5750 processor and I need to upgrade my CPU. I recently bought a T7700 processor but it seems to be nothing show up on the screen when I switch on my Laptop. I've gone through the "maintenance and service" manual where I didnt find my existing CPU number (T5750) nor the new one - T7700 in the list of supporting processors.

Just wondering if anyone intelligent can help me by advising - what is max or latest Intel CPU that can support my mainboard. Thnx in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

I leave judging my intelligence out of this...

What BIOS version are you running? What OS are you running? What is your exact model number?  There are 221 model variations of the dv6700 notebook series and the BIOS's may be different.

I looked at the BIOS release notes for a dv6700 CTO, and see this infomation for Windows Vista for BIOS v F.45:

Fix/Enhancement:

Adds support for Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processors T8100, T8300, T9300, and T9500.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-58188-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...=

The T8100 has a different L2 cache size than the T7700. I am really surprised the T7700 isn't working, because the T7300 is listed as supported in the service manual, and has the same basic specs as the T7700, except for the speed of course.

Comparison:

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=29760,29762,

This could be your problem, if your BIOS version is earlier than F.45...

1. You must be running Windows Vista to flash the BIOS, or you will probably brick your notebook if you try to flash it, if you are running Windows XP or Windows 7. The flash is written for Vista, and only Vista.

If you have Vista and are running with a BIOS version earlier than F.45 and you decide to flash the BIOS, take all necessary precautions before flashing the BIOS...like disconnecting anything hooked up to your PC like USB sticks, printers, etc. Only the battery and A/C power cord should be connected.

Also, you should flash the BIOS in Windows Safe Mode, so there is a minimum amount of running processes. An active antivirus could attempt to stop a BIOS flash thinking a virus is attacking the BIOS. That will brick your PC when it is restarted.

I think that is about all I can advise you on this matter.

Paul

HP Recommended

Here is your Sevice Manual:

Manual

The list of supported processors is on Page 1. The T5250 is there, listed as a Core Duo, as is the T7300. There are several unnamed Core 2 Duos listed, as well. You can flash the BIOS outside of Windows with a flash drive or usb floppy if you just extract the BIOS file. Here are some helpful links:

post 1

post 2

HP Recommended

Just to let U know guys my BIOS version is F.58, Intel GM965 chipset and using Core2 Duo T5750 not T5250 and like to replace my CPU with T7700 which has 4MB L2 cache or the latest processor which is compitable with my laptop.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium edition. Again pls help me in such regard.

Thnx again.

HP Recommended

The T5750 was not offered by HP on that laptop, as far as I can tell. They may have built some CTO models with it, I guess. It is a 2.0 ghz 667 fsb cpu, and the 2.0 ghz offered is an 800 fsb. You have the latest BIOS. The best chip you can install is the T9500, which is 2.6 ghz with 6 mb L2 cache 800 mhz fsb, which would be a significant upgrade. How else can we help? Instructions for the cpu remove and replace are in the manual. As stated, other processors besides those offered or expressly supported by HP MIGHT work, but it is a crapshoot. The T5750 is a second line processor, it does not do virtualization. It was used in budget laptops just to say it was a C2D but they were very cheap.

HP Recommended

Sorry forgot to tell u that mine is CTO model which is customised from their website. I bought it from US & was quite expensive though back in 2008. Anyways can U pls tell me why my laptop doesnt work when I insert T7700 processor replacing the one I am using which is T5750. Its of the same processor socket & I know it should do it, but nothing comes up on the screen when I switch on my laptop. Looking forward for your concern in such regard. Thnx

HP Recommended

Its the crapshoot thing. If the cpu is not on the supported list it might not work and you are seeing proof of that.

Also be sure you have the processor lock in the correct position and all the way locked.

HP Recommended

yes I've properly locked the processor, used proper thermal paste............ But still not working. Do u think its worth trying some other processor.............

HP Recommended

Yes one of the ones on the list, please.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.